The Garmin 1000 is the leading edge.

The Garmin 1000 is the leading edge.

Sunday, August 31, 2014

Huanuco to Cerro de Pasco. 105 kms. 2611 metres of climbing, summit 4341 metres.The biggest stage of the tour.

Today is listed as the hardest day on the entire tour, and it lived up to all my expectations.

My eating and sleeping is on the mend and I was ready to get back on the bike. The photos are in reverse order because I'm so stuffed after today's ride, its the best I can do when you arrive in a hotel thinking you'll never ever get to use of their fingers again.

My Garmin computer shows the ETA into town, the time of day, the amount of climbing and current altitude. I took the photo with about 3 kms to go. So how did the day pan out?

We rolled out of Huanuco after 8.15 am and we all stayed together for about 5 kms then it split apart. My goal was to complete the day so I chose people who I thought I would  be comfortable to ride with. There was Theo and his wife, toas, Buck and Jurg. Barry joined us later on, I think he was chatting to other riders behind.

The first part of the ride took us for 60 kms of climbing through small villages with people waving and calling out the only English word they know, 'gringo'. At least they don't call out to me like they do back home. We followed the river all the way to the turn off which would take us on the dirt road for the rest of the day. We were now at 3200 metres and still had over 1000 metres to climb on dirt road.

The lunch truck was at the start of the dirt road and they had brown bread which I had requested earlier. So happy to stop eating that white bread for a while. After 2 large sandwiches Buck and I were on our way again.

My first sighting of an Alpaca on the trip on the dirt road to Cerro de Pasco.
 The photo above shows the lunch truck stuck in a trench. We came across the truck late in the afternoon and this was not the fault of the driver. Like usual another vehicle came to close and he had to go as close as he could to the side of the road. Shit happens as they say. They wrangled up all the locals, tied a rope to the front and dragged the truck out. Human power will always win out in the end.  We continued on along the dusty rocky road through ravines with fast flowing waters and mountains that hung over our heads. It was a super day but damn tough.
 That's my good mate Buck coming up through the ravine.
 As we were riding between the mountains we noticed religious shrine in no mans land. Obvious it was of Catholic domination.

As we continued on we came across a family celebrating a pre wedding event. The groom was present, the truck with all the presents and all the family.  Man did they get some nice stuff. I had a dance with mama and was offered a drink a beer from her bottle. I kindly refused.  The photos below are of some of the people at the party.

 Every part needs a band.

As the afternoon was getting on we were now getting very cold. We we kept climbing the switchback which wouldn't stop going higher and higher. I was getting tired and so was Buck. Barry rode ahead and left us for dead.

By the time we reached the summit it was freezing, my fingers were numb, my legs were ice and all I wanted to do was to get to the hotel and have a hot shower. We made it to the hotel found a room and had a hot shower. It was now 5.30 pm.  Whilst having the shower my fingers felt like they were burning with pain of hot water running over them. It took me a good hour to thaw out. 

For dinner Barry went down early and ordered his meal, Buck and I went down at 7 pm and ate as much as we could consider how buggered we were. After dinner it was straight back to the room, do my story, and go to sleep. 

I have no idea of tomorrow's ride, but I don't care.  I finished the hardest stage of the tour so I'm pretty happy right now.  No internet tomorrow because of bush camping.  Can't wait for that one.

Until tomorrow, safe riding.

1 comment:

  1. Well done Terry - you deserve an extra shot of tequila (medicinal purposes) after that one...

    ReplyDelete