The Garmin 1000 is the leading edge.

The Garmin 1000 is the leading edge.

Saturday, August 30, 2014

Rest Day in Huanuco and what a fantastic day. National Police Day.

If you sleep, eat, drink well, you will feel on top of the world, or maybe on top of the Andes Mountains.

Well I tick all the above and now feel great.  I had a good breakfast and went outside to greet the morning and to watch the celebrations of the National Police Day Ceremony in the Square right outside my hotel. The ceremony was just fantastic and I got the chance to get up close and personal to all the officers taking part in the celebrations.

The photos below were taken today.
 One of my cycling friends from the tour Jeanette who wanted to have her photo taken with men in uniforms.
 From the photo above I think I chose the wrong career.
 I never get bored watching these ceremonies all around the world. National Police Day is a huge event in Peru and I'm so happy to be in Huanuco to enjoy it.
 All sections of the armed services took part in the National Day parade.
Part of the ceremony was to celebrate the patron of the Police I think is Sister Maria or Rosa. Senior police and dignitaries took part in carry the statue around the square and out of the area. With the police band playing, mounted police, police dogs, guns going off, it was fantastic.

I took a lot more video all of which will be put together with the Gopro clips I've been taking to make one hell of a production.

After the ceremony I caught a tuk tuk to Plaza Real a new complex in town with James. The cost of the taxi 2 sol for both of us.  That's less than $1 AUS.  I didn't even consider bargaining at that price. It has all the modern shops and eating franchise outlets. We had a nice meal, bought some extras for later on in the evening whilst watching TV, and a nice slab of cake. I'm on holiday and don't have to worry about food going to MY hips. I paid the same price for the return trip. I can hear my cycling buddy Len saying, 'you tight ass',

I haven't received the course for tomorrow, but the word is that it's the Queen stage of the tour, we climb from 1800 metres to 4200 metres. To all my cycling friends, it's not about the climbing, it's all about the altitude.

I'm staying in a hotel tomorrow night and I intend to get back on the bike tomorrow and just take it easy. Should be a walk in the park.

Until tomorrow, safe riding.


No comments:

Post a Comment