The Garmin 1000 is the leading edge.

The Garmin 1000 is the leading edge.

Monday, August 25, 2014

Spending an afternoon in a Peruvian Prison. Roaming the streets of Huaraz on my rest day.

Going on from yesterday afternoon when we arrived in Huaraz I attended the Huaraz Prison with the Editor of the Huaraz Telegraph, Mr Rex Broekman. I tell you how this all panned out.

Prior to leaving Australia I was surfing the net and came across a couple of articles where people had visited foreign prisoners in South America prisons. With a bit of homework I came across an article in the Huaraz Telegraph about Rex Broekman the editor visiting Luis Cornelius, a South African convicted of attempting to transport 17 kgs of Cocaine out of Peru. Immediately I thought I had to contact Rex and see what he could do for me. I've been in Long Bay Prison, New South Wales for work many years ago and seen the conditions, so I wanted to see first hand what is a Peruvian Goal really like. And I wanted to have the chance to interview Luis for not 10 minutes as you see on documentaries but for 1 and ½ hours. I wanted to know what made this person 'tick'.

After many emails between Rex and I and the fact that Luis was prepared to see me, the time and date was set. I informed Rex that I would be arriving with the Bike Dreams Tour on the afternoon of the 24th August 2014 and I would be ready to head off by 2.30pm. To cut the story short, I rode the morning, made the hotel and shortly before 2.30pm I heard a knock on my room. It was a fresh faced 32 year old man, named Rex Broekman. I was surprised to see such a young man and thought that he would be much older.

So after stuffing around and finally getting my passport out of the fire engine, the taxi was taking us to Huaraz Prison close to town. We pulled up out the front of the prison and I was feeling rather anxious and not knowing what to expect. After all no one other than Barry knew what I was up to. I know my family would have been a little concerned knowing what I was going to do in Peru.

The first step was registration, a couple of stamps and then a body search. I didn't have to strip, just a pat down. The guards are not thorough at all. They never asked me to take my boots off, just a quick pat and I was on the other side of hell. Rex and I walked up a couple of steps and down below was Luis Cornelius. A thin 54 year old man, with clothes that looked old and warn. It was obvious, he was not healthy and looked a lot older than 54. We walked down the steps to be greeted by Luis and took up a seat in the main visiting area. There was a guard and about 5 other prisoners doing their own thing. I think Luis has some pull in this prison.

Now for the interview. No electronic devices are allowed in the prison, only pen and paper.

Q. Where were you born Luis?
A. I was born in Johannesburg South Africa.
Q. Why did you come to Peru?
A. Simple, I needed some money and thought drugs was an easy chance to get some.
Q. How much had you agreed to transport out of the country?
A. It was agreed upon back in South Africa that I would transport 3 kgs.
Q. How much did the case end up weighing at the airport?
A. 17 kgs roughly.
Q. You had to know the difference between 17 and 3 kgs, anyone would know that. Don't you agree?
A. Honestly Terry I never touched the bag (suitcase) at any time.
Q. Where were you living in Peru?
A. I was living in an apartment in mini Flores.
Q. So how did this all go down?
A. I left the apartment in a white taxi and ½ way I changed into another taxi and this is when I received              the bag and shown the 3kgs. I was ready to go ahead and fly to Amsterdam and then onto                           Johannesburg.
Q. What happened at the airport?
A. The person who was with me called the porter to carry the bag, I still hadn't touched the bag at this stage.      We went over the plastic wrap and wrapped the bag. The porter did all this for me as I was flying first          class. (on this point I don't think I've ever read a drug mule going first class).
Q. What airport were you flying out of?
A. Jourge Chavez airport. I was told to go to gate 7 to pay my taxes and then I could just go and check in          and I was on my way.
Q. Did you pay the airport tax?
A. Just as I was ready to walk off I was tapped on the shoulder to told to go with the officer. I thought then I      was 'F.....'.
Q. Where were you taken?
A. I was taken to a police room and told to open the bag. This is the first time I touched the bag and then          realised how heavy it was. I was screwed.
Q. Did you open the bag?
A. No, they got a drill and tried to drill into the bag and broke 2 drills. Then got a grinder and cut the bag in        half. When they did this 2 bags fell out of the bag and rolled onto the table. It's then I realised that I was        either set up or already a target. I was gone.
Q. How much were you promised if you got the drugs back to Johannesburg?
A. I was promised 30,000 rand. The street value of the drugs broken down into 1 gram bags on the street          would be several millions of rand.
Q. What did you say when you saw all the drugs?
A. F...., that don't look like 3 kgs.
Q. What did the police do next?
A. They got out the camera and video and everyone turned up, it was a big deal a Gringo getting busted.
Q. Where did you take you next?
A. They took me to the Denando Police Station for 15 days. In the 2 weeks they took me out 15 times to          try and find the suppliers. I never gave them up, if I did, I would be signing my death warrant and I knew      it wouldn't help my sentence. Not in this country.
Q. Do you have any other big suppliers in the prison?
A. Yes, Antonio Ruiz. He works in the laundry and got caught trying to transport 1.2 tonne of Cocaine out        of the country. He got 12 years.
Q. Where was the first prison you were sent?
A. I was sent to Sarita Colonia where a I spent 4 years and 8 months. It's there I contracted HIV through          needles in the pharmacy. Terry, you won't believe what shit they do in that prison. One of the prisoners          would extract his own blood and then they would put it into medicine in the pharmacy. I was sick and            given a bad dose, now I live with HIV for the rest of my life. The Peruvian Government owe me for this. I      should take legal action against them.
Q. Why were you taken medication with needles in prison?
A. I spent 4 years in traction from the age 7-11 due to brittle bones. I was given all sorts of drugs to try and        fix the problem so now I have to have a needle to help me get through. It's through the pharmacy at Sarita      Colonia that caused me this problem.

It was just then I noticed a phone on the wall beside me.

Q. This phone Luis can anyone us it?
A. Yes, prisoners can use it but the guards make the call and then you can talk.
Q. Can you order anything from outside and get it brought to you in prison?
A. Sure, no problem. We can ring prostitutes and 20 minutes later I can take a lady to my room. It happens        all the time.

It was then I met the new head of the prison, Dr Ciro Trejo Zuloagoa. It was just a shake of hands and no more.

Q. So where were you charged for this offence?
A. I was charged at the airport by a prosecutor who came and some police.
Q. How long was it being apprehended that you appeared in court?
A. 20 months, that is f..... bullshit.
Q. Where was the court?
A. It's bullshit Terry, it was in the same prison I was being held. I appeared in front of 3 magistrates and 2          prosecutors, it was a big deal to them.
Q. Was a plea bargain offered to you?
A. Yes it was, but I was told by my lawyer not to accept as these Magistrates and Prosecutors were corrupt      and you would receive 15 years at least.
Q. What did you end up getting?
A. I got 12 years with no parole. I appealed the sentence, right there and then. About 2 minutes my appeal        was heard by the same Magistrates and Prosecutors. I got the same penalty, how shit is this system.
Q. Did you lodge an appeal against the severity of the sentence to the Supreme Court?
A. I did and was told it would be dealt with in 10 days. I ended up going back to court 5 months later and          lost the appeal.
Q. What happened next?
A. The Supreme Court called me back and ruled that my sentence could have beneifits which would mean I        could be out in 4-6 years.
Q. Well that's not too bad considering how much gear you were carrying, don't you think?
A. I agree with you, but when I got transferred to this prison I couldn't take my papers with me and now I          can't find the paper that says I have benefits and now I have to stay the 12 years.
Q. What about your wife Luis, where is she?
A. My common law wife who I met 8 years ago in South Africa got caught with a false passport and drug          trafficking in Bolivia. I think she might have been trying to help me.
Q. What were the circumstances of you being transferred to Huaraz Prison?
A. I was fighting in prison on 3 or more occasions. I suffered head injuries. One day they came to me and          said you're going. It was unannounced.
Q. What did the South African embassy do for you?
A. The prison never contacted the embassy prior to my transfer which they suppose to do. These people            don't give a shit about a gringo, they do what they want, they can beat you and treat you like shit and            nothing happens to the officers.
Q. What injuries did you suffer in the assault?
A. I spent the first 6 weeks in the prison hospital recovering from my injuries. My weight dropped to 53 kgs      and I received nearly 120 litres of a fluid and was on a drip all this time. I was very sick Terry.
Q. When is your release date Luis?
A. My release is the 14th February 2017. I've put in applications to have my term carried out in                          Johannesburg, but no one is interested.
Q. Have the South African embassy done anything for you since your transfer to Huaraz Prison?
A. No. I spent 34 months in this shit hole before I saw an embassy official, then it was 14 months later and        the last time was about 13 months ago.
Q. Since you were involved in drug trafficking, I suppose you had a drug habit before you left Johannesburg?
A. No I didn't. I know you might find it hard to believe but I was doing this money and no other purpose.          Once I found out my wife was in Bolivia I lost it, I developed an addiction for smoking crack which               lasted for 3 years and 7 months. This was whilst I was serving my sentence in Sarita Colonia.
Q. When did you stop smoking crack?
A. It was the 6th January 2012. I had to stop or I would have died.
Q. Is it hard to get drugs in either prison?
A. The technico's (prison guards) are the suppliers of all the drugs in this place. They can get you anything.
Q. What about cameras in the gaol?
A. You are joking, no cameras anywhere, people can do whatever they like in this place and get away with         it.
Q. So what section of the prison do you live in?
A. I'm currently living in the hospital because of my poor health. There's 5 of us and 1 female but she's in an        another section.
Q. Do you have any children back home?
A. I have 2 children, 38 and 37, I've never heard from them.
Q. How do you get along with the staff of the prison?
A. Because I'm a gringo many resent me and treat me like shit. If you were American it would be worse.
Q. What are the major crimes people are doing time for in this prison?
A. 60% Drugs, 20% murder and 20% stealing.
Q. So how old are you now Luis?
A. 54 years old Terry and not going well.
Q. If you ever been outside the walls of the prison since you arrived in Huaraz?
A. Yes, 3 times. They walk me outside, call me a taxi and I go to the hospital with 2 staff members.
Q. Have you ever been beaten by the guards here?
A. Many times they hit me. Once I was beaten so bad the technico's were transferred. I had a tube out of          my stomach which I had to carry around for 9 days.
Q. How's the food?
A. the food is pathetic, I wouldn't feed it to a dog, it's shit.
Q. Give us an example of what they would feed you?
A. Rice, potato and the skin or fat from pork.
Q. Who is the longest serving prisoner in this prison Luis?
A. There is one guy who's in for having sex with his 2 children. He got life and will never walk outside these        walls again. He is the most hated man in the prison. He basically lives on his own or they will kill him.
Q. So in a typical day what time do you get up and go to bed?
A. Roll call is at 8am and 5pm. Usually I go to roll call at 8am and then go back to sleep till 11am, I have            nothing to do.
Q. So what's going to happen to Luis when he's released in 2017?
A. I'm going to be deported and then I'm going to write a book about my experience. I've already started          writing notes so I can do when I get home.

After our conversation Luis took Rex and myself for a walk of the prison. We visited the minimum and medium security part of the prison and looked through the bars of maximum security prisoners playing ball in the courtyard. When you enter the corridor that leads to these sections, it's then that you realise how vulnerable you are. Prisoners come up to you and offer you food, little carvings, drinks, but Rex and I ignore then and Luis tells them to F.... off. He's not scared to tell the other prisoners where to go. Luis bought us both a drink from a prisoner who has his own shop in the prison and we then made a hasty retreat to check out the prison hospital where Luis lives.

After checking out the prison and going back to the main courtyard, I was glad to be out of that shit hole. I got to see the dorm section where 12 prisoners could live in bunks in a room smaller than my computer room at home.

It was now getting close to 5pm and it was time to say farewell and leave Luis behind. I did wish Luis good health and hopefully he does get to write a book about his experiences. Rex and I left the prison and headed back to town. I am extremely grateful to Rex for organising the visit and to Luis for allowing me into his life for such a short period of time. Yes Luis is a convicted criminal and never hides from this fact. Of course he wishes he never did it, or perhaps wishes he never got caught.

To those who think of being involved in trafficking drugs, whether it be in South America, Thailand, Bali or any other country around the world, personally you deserve the full weight of that countries laws to come down on you. You deserve to be treated according to their laws and not those of the country you use to live in. To think anything different is not logical.

So there you have it, an afternoon in the Huaraz Prison. An experience I will never forget. Yes, there were many other questions I would have liked to ask Luis, but time was against me.

Now for today.

I had a good sleep, got my clothes washed, went shopping for a new bag, ate some food, rested, eat some more food, clean the bike and go to sleep. Tomorrow we start another 4 days of punishment in the higher mountains of the Andes.
 I had to buy a bag to replace the one with the broken zipper. Old mama was hard to bargain with, but I did get her down a couple of coings.
Whilst in the markets we came across the meat section.  Anyone for non refrigerated guinea pig.
 The ladies above are selling their produce sitting on the pavement of Huaraz. They do not like to have their photo's taken.
And more non refrigerated poultry for dinner. Not for me.

We will be bush camping for 3 nights, so no internet. I will post the next update in 3 days. More dirt, more rock and the temperature is increasing.

Until tomorrow, safe riding.

1 comment:

  1. Wow...great interview! Funny but how can you really feel sorry for the guy? I mean who in their right mind would even think of trying to smuggle drugs out of a foreign country? I agree with you, anyone who does it and gets caught, deserves everything he gets from the foreign govt. No sympathy at all.

    So, you haven' tried the Cuy (guinea pig)?? It's really not that bad. I mean, I had you convinced to eat the rat until you discovered it wasn't chicken! Ha!

    Stay safe and stay out of trouble.

    Len

    ReplyDelete