The Garmin 1000 is the leading edge.

The Garmin 1000 is the leading edge.

Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Catacocha to Macara. 94kms, Summit 1900 Metres. 1417 metres climbed.

Today was a day of 2 stages, 1 before lunch was downhill and the 2nd stage was after lunch, absolutely stinking hot, and hills.We got away from our nice hotel in Catacocha and immediately went downhill for  15kms. What a good change to start the day compared to others which is usually leave town and start climbing.

Since today was not timed we rolled along as a group and had a nice morning of easy riding. Lunch stop was at 55 kms, and the photo below was taken at our lunch stop on the shores of the river.

 Now if you look at the above photo, it appears that Elizabeth is taking a photo of Patrick's ass. I'm not sure.

After lunch this is the when the weather really affected me. It was stifling hot and an no shade as we climbed the final 10 km mountain. I had to stop twice and couldn't stay with Barry and Jerg on the climb. I was stuffed. I took a couple of breaks and eventually reached the summit with the boys nowhere in sight.

After rolling down the hill for a km or 2, I met up with them at a small roadside shop. A nice cold Pepsi to refresh and I was feeling much better. I think the effects of yesterday and the heat of today were telling my body to rest up.

We rolled into the town of Macara around 1.15pm and got a huge room. I'm washed, my clothes are washed and hung out, and now it's time for a cup of soup.

I'm doing nothing for the rest of the day.
The photo above was taken at the small roadside stand 1/2 way down the mountain.

Tomorrow we have a big ride and also leave Ecuador and enter Peru. 

Until tomorrow, safe riding.

No comments:

Post a Comment