The Garmin 1000 is the leading edge.

The Garmin 1000 is the leading edge.

Friday, August 1, 2014

Quito to Mitad-del-Mundo. The Equator.

Last night all the cyclists got together to receive the briefing from the 'Bike Dreams' company on what we should expect for the rest of the tour and what we can and can't do. We also got our jerseys for participating, which now means I have to complete the ride or I will look silly saying I rode the end of the world when in fact I didn't. We also got a great book which covers each stage and the history and attractions of the many towns and villages we will pass through during the next 4 months and 2 weeks of riding. 

An early night was on the cards as I wanted to be fresh to take in the exhilaration of starting a ride that will have such an impact on my life. I never lose sight of the fact that I'm extremely fortunate to have the opportunity to participate in this event.

Now for today.

Today's the day we start the ride. Our journey will take us from the hotel to 27 kms north to the Mitad-del-Mundo, or more commonly known as 'the equator'. Breakfast was at 7 am and we all had to be outside ready to leave at 9am in a convoy. This is the safest way to ride in this city. We all rode as a huge group with cars and buses giving way to us at each intersection. The first part of the trip was on good roads and nearly all downhill to the equator. You know what that means, all uphill to the finish line. My good friend from Germany, Hardy, had 2 punctures on the first day. Not happy at all.

We rolled into Mitad-del-Mundo to start the celebrations. We were given a guided tour of the monument in the photo below, and told about the history of the region, the Amazon and other ethnic groups from within Ecuador. We didn't have too much time to play around as we had to be down at the base of the monument to receive the official send off by a representative of the Ecuadorean Government.

Once the official part of the day was over, we got the chance to take some photos around the monument.
 And that's me standing between both the Northern and Southern Hemispheres.
 I took the photo above as the truck passed us this morning. There are 2 identical fire engine trucks that will carry our gear to the end of the world. Thank God I'm not carry my gear again. I'm over that crap.
 That's Barry and myself at the equator. Barry is my cycling friend from the mighty Gong.
 I took the above photo standing atop the monument that signifies the centre of the earth. Looking down on both north and south of the equator line.

 It's obvious I'm the chap with the eXsight Tandem clothing gear on. I've taken eXsight to many places around the world and I couldn't think of any other clothing to wear on such an important day. I might even wear the gear on the last day as well.

After the photos we had some lunch bought another T-shirt to go to my collection and headed back to Quito for the evening. Tomorrow we leave Quito and start the real journey south.

The ride back to the hotel was at our own pace. Barry and I stayed with the fast guys even up the long climbs. We turned off before the hotel and went shopping for a cycling jersey. Barry got a nice jersey but I couldn't get one to fit me. Maybe tomorrow.

My afternoon is now complete and it's time to go for dinner. Tomorrow is a 95km stage which will take us up to 3500 metres above sea level. 

Until tomorrow, safe riding.

1 comment:

  1. Let me guess..you negotiated for the t'shirt in a poor country :). And...aren't you the guy always saying "I have too many t'shirts"??

    ReplyDelete