The Garmin 1000 is the leading edge.

The Garmin 1000 is the leading edge.

Thursday, August 7, 2014

Chunchi to Ingapirca. 72Kms, summit 3150 metres. 2050 metres of climbing. What a cracker of a day.

It doesn't matter how long I slept last night as it was not going to prepare me for the hiding we copped today. Firstly the Imperial Hotel in Chunchi was excellent and had all the amenities one would want for an overnight stopover.

After breakfast the group rolled out of town and into the mountains. I was riding with Barry, Jerg, Buck, Rein and James. The first climb went from 2300 metes to 3100 metres over a distance of 35kms. The problem was that as we climbed 300 metres we dropped down again into a small village and had to climb back up the next mountain pass.

The scenery was just as spectacular as yesterday, with lush green valleys, clouds in the distance and a chilly breeze to meet us at the top of each climb. When we started out of town today I tried to sit with Rein who is very strong and pulled away from my usual group. I think I took on more than I could handle. Rein dropped me towards the top and eventually James caught up with me. We rode together up climb after climb and then headed downhill towards the lunch truck at 10.30am. I pulled over for lunch but James continued on. Rein was already ahead of us making real good time. I had a roll and some fruit and got back on the bike for the final 30kms to Ingapirca.

At this stage I had already climbed over 1200 metres and was feeling very tired. I didn't think I would see James again but I did. As I roared down into the town of El Tambo at the 61km mark I missed the turn off to Ingapirca historical site because I was sitting behind a truck to avoid all the dogs trying to attack me. I have never had so many dogs try and bite me today than I have in my whole life. And after the crash I had back in 2011 when I dog attack caused me to go across the road and into window of a car coming the other way, I was a little nervous on bike today.

I continued on through the town and then my Garmin 1000 showed I was off course. I turned around and rode back into town and and found the sign for Ingapirca. From here to the end of the day was 9kms of climbing. It was about 5kms from the finish that James came up from behind and told me he also failed to see the sign but he went a little further. We rode the last 5kms together, yelling and screaming at dogs, battling horrendous headwinds up hill with legs that felt they were on fire.

At the base of the last climb I couldn't go any harder and was dropped by James. I followed him about 100 metres behind right up the steep climb and onto the finish line. I was stuffed. I arrived at the hotel at 12.30pm and had nothing left in the tank. We finished the climb at 3150 metres. Our accommdation is an old hostel which is just fine for one night. Although it doesn't have Wifi, Barry and I have managed to get a room with 2 beds, others have 3 to a room.
When I arrived at the hotel there was no running water, so out came the face cloth and a bottle of water to wash myself. I felt like a new man. After a short wait for everyone to arrive and get cleaned up we went for a walk up the road to the famous Ingapirca ruins.

The ruins are the largest Incan ruins in Ecuador. The most significant building is the temple of the sun, an elliptical shaped building constructed around a large rock. The building is constructed in the Incan way without mortar. The stones were simply chiselled and fashioned to fit together perfectly. The temple of the sun was positioned so that on the solstices, at exactly the right time of day, sunlight would fall through the centre of the doorway of the small chamber at the top of the temple.

The 200 metre walk up the entrance of the ruins was all uphill, just like my ride today. The ruins costs $6 per adult and you get an English speaking guide if one is available. Today we only had the pamphlet to guide us along the path. The ruins were certainly worth the effort although we were freezing and the wind was still howling through our bones. The way the Incan people built the entire complex with water systems, food storage, agriculture, and even a place for virgins was pretty impressive.

We made our way back to the hotel and laid on the bed relaxing and waiting for dinner to be served.

Barry and I have the best room by far. Barry has this blue tooth speaker for his Iphone and every day we play music so everyone else can hear, whether they like our chose or not.

With dinner devoured and desert for good measure, it was far too cold to be anywhere other than bed. Bed is at 7.30pm tonight and with a good sleep we'll be ready for more mountains and more pain. No internet at the hotel, will post 2 days tomorrow, Thursday 7th August 2014.
 That's our hotel in Ingapirca. Although the shower was cold, I didn't care as I was stuffed and all I wanted was some food and a good night's sleep..
The photo was taken during our walk of the Ingapirca ruins. The ruins date back as far as the 5th Century.
 The photo above is of the Sun Temple inside the ruins. It's amazing walking in the ruins of history and what they were used for all those years ago.
You will notice a ring in, in the photo above. This young Ecuadorean lady wanted to have her photograph taken with the cyclists from the tour. I'm the one wearing the black hat.
The photo above is part of the instructions we receive each day before we head off.  Today was one of those days that nearly broke me. 

Tomorrow will be a lot easier, hopefully.


Until tomorrow, safe riding.

1 comment:

  1. Glad to see you suffering. Keep up the good spirits, EFI is just around the corner. Regards from Switzerland

    ReplyDelete