The Garmin 1000 is the leading edge.

The Garmin 1000 is the leading edge.

Sunday, August 17, 2014

Lambayeque to Pacasmayo. 119 kms. 363 metres of climbing. Still not 100%.

Once again I'm being troubled by an upset stomach. Even during the night I could feel something wasn't right. I'm putting it down to eating white bread. See I don't eat white bread at home and it's much harder to digest than brown bread. My goal is to back off completely and see what else I can eat to replace bread during the day. I have to ride 119 kms on mainly flat roads with an upset stomach, so another tough day to drag my ass through.

You've already heard me complain about my sleep last night, well breakfast was a bit of a non event.Now this has nothing to do with Bike Dreams but the hotel only provided a couple of bread rolls with jam, and that's it. That's just made my day even harder.

The group rolled out of the hotel and I was last one out. This meant I had to chase the group for 5 kms before I got on the back. I managed to do a 10 minute turn on the front, but it just wasn't working for me. I sat on the back of the bunch again till lunch and I'll see what happens with a rest.
 The photo above are a kind of vulcher that scavengers all around this desolate countryside. The sands go from the roadside off into the distance for miles and miles. This is the terrain we've been riding in for days.
Lunch stop was fine in a sandy patch off the side of the road.

Back on the road for the final push to Pacasmayo, some 55 kms. I went to the front with Max straight away for a 10 minute run and then went back to the back of the pack for the rest of the afternoon. I was just so tired from poor sleeping and the upset stomach.

It was a very baron road with crazy truck and bus drivers all day avoiding head on collisions. I'm amazed how close they came to each other time after time.

We rolled into Pacasmayo around 1 pm and were greeted to a really nice hotel right on the beach. 
That's me on the left, Barry in the middle and Tim Dowling on the right standing on the balcony overlooking the Pacific Ocean. Beautiful view and perfect weather.
 The beach front avenue outside our hotel.
The photo above was taken on the beach front looking out to the pier that runs out about 200 metres from the shore.

I went for a walk with Jurg, Barry and Buck around the town and bought some yogurt to calm my stomach down for the evening. I can now hear the water lapping on the shore and the band has just started playing. Dinner is just around the corner, shortly followed by bed. It's just the way it is on tour.

I hope everyone is enjoying the ride as much as I am.

Until tomorrow, safe riding.

No comments:

Post a Comment