The Garmin 1000 is the leading edge.

The Garmin 1000 is the leading edge.

Sunday, August 10, 2014

Cuenca Rest Day. Not feeling 100%.

Finally we got the chance to take a well deserved day off the bikes, rest my legs and do nothing. The morning was spent on a tour of the city on one of those tourist double decker buses which was pretty good. For $5 dollars it was well worth it and went for about 1 & ½ hours. After that we went into the major cathedral and went and had some lunch. It was at this time I started to feel unwell in the stomach but still ate lunch.

After lunch I headed back to the hotel as I knew something was wrong. From 1pm to 4pm I laid on the bed until it hit me. It was just like last year in Kosovo when Peter and I got sick. I was hoping that that one visit to the toilet would end my problems.

The rest of the afternoon was spent on the bed and not moving. I couldn't be bothered to eat dinner or go for a walk. I knew that riding tomorrow was off the cards. Of course we all like to ride every inch of the way, but in the scheme of things, I don't care. As long as I get better and not bust my arse, I'll reach the bottom of the world in one piece.

I should mention that in the afternoon one of the nice blokes on the tour 'Max' came in and dropped a plastic bag with something in it for me. I opened it up, and there was the coolest Ecuadorian cycling jersey I've seen. I will go out of my way to repay the kind gesture. I know what cycling jersey I'll be wearing when I get back on the bike.
  Whilst we were walking around Cuenca I got to see police parading for the minister for the interior. More pump and ceremony.

Although it's after midnight the story for yesterday isn't over. Around 12pm I heard Barry get up and go to the toilet and the rest is history. For the next couple of hours he was in pain going to and from the toilet. I felt really bad for him as I hoped like hell that by being in the same room I might have contributed in some way for him catching the virus that is going around many of the cyclists.

7am came around and both of us had decided it was time to take the truck. It was a simple decision as there was no way I would have made it up those climbs today.
This lady is not selling and cooking a banana, she is actually cooking a form of banana which at this point in time I can't remember the name.
 The photo above is of the Supreme Court of Cuenca. I tried to get in but they wouldn't allow it.
 The photo above is 1 of the 50 or more catholic churches in this town.
 More police prepared to quell any violence when the Minister for the Interior when he arrives.
And police standing to attending when the head honcho finally turns up. I waited for an hour and he decided to continue on looking around the city.

Now for Saturday 9th August 2013.

Cuenca to Ona. Summit 3400 metres. 1817 metres of climbing.

I rolled down for breakfast and ate a dry bread roll with jam and a cup of tea, that's it. Went back upstairs go my gear together, put it in the truck, put the bike up on the roof and got ready for the 109km trip to the town of Ona. By the time we reached Ona I was glad of my decision not to ride. The hills, rain, wind, cloud, would have put me back days.

We rolled into Ona this very small village of about 20 shops and to a pretty cool hotel where we're staying tonight.

We got our room and by 12pm Barry and I were fast asleep. I woke at 1.30pm and Barry slept till 4.30pm. I felt a lot better but I won't know how much better until I've had something to eat.

I walked down to the corner junction to meet the rider coming in and laid on the bus stop bench in the sun nodding off again. The town's people must be thinking, 'where did this gringo come from'. I made my way back up to the hotel and hit the sack again, I wasn't in the mood for mingling so Buck and I sat on the verandah looking over the valley and mountain region of the Andes Mountains. It was so spectacular and it's at these times I wish I had my digital camera. Oh well, it doesn't matter.

The truck blew it's horn at 6pm signalling dinner was ready. We walked down to the small shop which had opened up for all the cyclists. The ladies of the shop had put on chicken soup, lamb stew with rice and potato’s for $5 dollars. It was the best money spent so far on the holiday. If it stays done, I'm ready to thrash myself tomorrow.


Until tomorrow, safe riding. 

No comments:

Post a Comment