The Garmin 1000 is the leading edge.

The Garmin 1000 is the leading edge.

Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Finally a stage win. Loja to Catacocha. 94.4kms. Summit 2634 Metres. Climbed 3435 Metres.

A rest day and a great sleep can only be promising for the day ahead. We rolled out of the Hotel Podocarpus in drizzling rain. Not want I wanted for a 96 km ride.
Before I get into the day's ride I should mention it was Viv's birthday yesterday, and she got plenty of cake from Bike Dreams for her birthday. I took a slab of course, it was free.

The course map for today is below.
As we rolled out of town we had to keep on a rather rough road which took us straight up, how surprising is that? The first climb was 15 kms which we took as a group of about 8 riders in the rain. With lights on I felt pretty safe.

As we reached the summit we all stopped and put on the rain jackets for the descent down into the town of Catamayo. I followed Jorst and Patrick down the mountain in the rain and with my super slick tires on. I was really concerned going down the mountain in rain as these tires are notorious for slipping out under you. I followed their lines into and out of each corner and didn't want them to get too far ahead.

As we passed Catamayo and headed up the road to the next mountain, I couldn't see any of the other riders behind me. We caught James who's the hitter in the tour and rode with him to the base of the climb. I was feeling pretty good and decided to attack right from the start.  Patrick and Jorst dropped off and then James, I was now on my own about 50 kms from the finish.

I kept pushing on trying to put in as much distance between James and myself in case I crack on the climb. After about 5 kms I rounded a corner and their was the lunch truck.  I quickly took a couple of bananas, a food bar and filled up my bottles. I got back on the road and continued up the remaining 12 kms of the climb. I could see a long way back down the mountain, but couldn't see James or anyone else.

It is so hard to keep your head and legs concentrating on turning those pedals, knowing that soon you will be free to roar down the other side. As I crested the summit some respite for my tired legs. The temperature was getting hotter today and keeping up fluids was really important.

From the top of the climb I had about 20 kms to go to reach Catacocha. Still there was a lot of work to be done before I reached the finish line. There were never ending hills all the way and you wouldn't believe it, the town is on the side of a rather large hill, which means another bloody climb. Up the cobbles of a gradient of 25% to reach the town square.

I had so much sweat in my eyes I couldn't read my Garmin, so I had to pull out the sheet with the name of the hotel on it. A couple of school kids pointed me in the right direction of the hotel. Another 100 metres, around the corner and the big red fire engine waiting. Finally a stage win in the Andes Trail. Regardless of how the rest of the tour pans out, I can go home happy.

Our bags were already off the truck and we could get our key for the room straight away. I had the best shower and shave ever, washed my clothes and hung them out on the balcony. Yes, we have a balcony looking out over the street and into the local square.
 The photo above was taken from our balcony.
Barry took this amazing photo looking back over the mountains we had just ridden over. One has to question our sanity of days like today. 

I've had a great day, Barry came 3rd, we have a great room, plenty of time to rest, and now it's time to eat. Tomorrow is another surprise which will all unfold during our breakfast. This is when Robert hands out the sheet with the day's instructions and graph of all the climbing. 

I'm having such a great time and doing with it good people.

Until tomorrow, safe riding.

No comments:

Post a Comment