The Garmin 1000 is the leading edge.

The Garmin 1000 is the leading edge.

Monday, September 1, 2014

Cerro de Pasco to Junin. 83 kms, Paved 20%, climbing 636 metres, summit 4430 metres.

A lot of people complained about how cold their rooms were last night, I thought well we are staying at over 4300 metres above sea level, isn't' that a good reason?  There's no doubt it was freezing last night and after we had our dinner we went back to our rooms, I got under my 4 blankets and felt so warm I didn't have a problem at all.

Today was the first day I had to put on all my cold weather gear because it was freezing when we left Cerro de Pasco. We had to wait outside the hotel while the media guy used his camera and did the interview for National TV. I made sure I was at the front of the line to get my head on the TV.

So off we went to climb out of this town. I can't find words to describe how hard it is to start riding at 4321 metres and climb up to 4430 metres just to get out of town. I was puffing like I just consumed a packet of cigarettes. I stopped 1/2 way up the climb to take some photos looking back into the town below. This town's major source of income is through the open cut coal mine. It a town I don't think I'll ever see again.

After we reached the summit on paved road, it was downhill and easy riding for about 20 kms then we hit the dirt again. Bumping and banging along the dusty rocky road requires total concentration or you will end up on your face or in the ditch.

Our lunch truck stop was at 40 kms in a spot looking over the lake which is one of the highest in the world at over 4200 metres. It was so nice to be eating my salad rolls in a nice camping chair, sun on my face and not a breath of wind. A couple of mingy mongrel dogs hanging around, but the dog zapper dispensed with that problem.

After lunch Buck and I cruised along at a steady pace meeting up with Kristin, Hilde and Diderik. We would stop take some photo of the beautiful surrounding landscape at every opportunity. With the lake and the Flamingo's made it more enjoyable to what was becoming a fantastic day in the Andes.

The ride was still taxing with the small climbs which caused our lungs to try and jump out of our chests, and a road that was forever relentless with bumps, holes, lose rocks and gravel. This road was going to make us work all the way to our hotel in Junin. We were going to be bush camping tonight but because it's been so cold and at this altitude the company decided to treat us to hotel accommodation. What a bonus.

The last 10 kms were real tough, but with the town in sight, this always seems to lift one's spirits. We cruised in around 3 pm, got our bags and headed for our hotel down the road. Because there's so many cyclists we needed 2 hotels for the night. Barry and I got a great room with hot shower, wifi and 2 big beds.

When you have these luxuries they seem so good, but when you're camping, and dirty after a days riding, you don't care at all. You just get along with what you've got, just like everyone else in this part of the world.

After our clean up we made our way back up to the other hotel for dinner. Ellen the chef cooked dinner tonight and I can tell you, it was great. Back to our hotel at 6.30 pm to do nothing. We have to get up early tomorrow for another hard ride to Tarma and our rest day.
The photo above shows the dirt road we travelled on today.
The photo above is looking down into the city of Cerro de Pasco. You can see the football in the picture which is one of the highest football fields in the world.
The photo above is of my trusty machine taking a break in a beautiful part of the world.
The photo above is part of the lake we rode along for about 60 kms. What amazes me with a lot of the photos are the clouds appear to so close to us as we ride along.

I tried to post the above video whilst on our rest day in Huanuco but the wifi was terrible. I hope you enjoy a brief video of the National Police Day of Peru.

So another day is coming to an end in Peru. The riding is never easy and will probably be that way till the 14 December 2014 when we arrive at the end of the world. One of my good friends from Australia is coming over to Chile in late October. I hope to catch with him and his wife during their visit.

I have to get up early for a real tough stage tomorrow. We're start riding at 8 am and it's going to be freezing cold so I'll have to be rugged up again.

Until tomorrow, safe riding.

1 comment:

  1. Making good progress at these altitudes Terry. Good To get the benefit of the hotel after such a punishing ride.

    ReplyDelete