The Garmin 1000 is the leading edge.

The Garmin 1000 is the leading edge.

Monday, September 8, 2014

Stage 31b. Bushcamp to Ayacucho. 80 kms, Paved 65 %, climbing 1375 metres, summit 2957 metres. A good stage to enter the rest day.

After being eaten alive by insects last night around the campsite I was glad to get the hell out of there. The place was a perfect setting right next to the river and good places to pitch a tent, but those insects would drive anyone nuts. Except me of course.

With a good breakfast and the site cleaned up we hit the road around 8am. I just rolled out with the fast guys not intending to push it hard at all but I found it easy sitting with them. The road was a full of bumps, water causing muddy sections, bridges under repair, dogs wanting to come out an play, rocks the size of baseballs to navigate, and a beautiful scenery. I can see in 2 years this whole section being paved, no doubt about that.

The first part of the ride was Joost, Rien, James and myself. They pushed it along at times but were restricted to the terrible conditions of the unpaved road. At times we were stopped due to machinery cleaning rocks that had fallen down into the road, and others because of new roads being built. We had to zig zag our way around boulder, rivers, cows and goats, but that's what makes the Andes Trail an experience never to be forgotten. I should say that the energy level to compete on this tour is so much harder than the Cairo to Capetown tour in 2011. Both companies provide totally different experiences. This tour is not for the novice, it's for people who are addicted to riding at an extreme level.

We kept ploughing along with mud all over our clothing and bikes screaming at the dogs to go away and then trying to breath for the next 30 seconds. When you're at this altitude it's bearable to turn the pedals, but when you had screaming at the dogs, you've just lost ½ your lungs oxygen capacity and it's take a while to get it back again.

On a side note I did have a discussion with one of my good friends from the snowy region of Australia, Mr Terry Gilchrist, wanting to know the difference between the Alpaca and the Llama. I didn't write down in the last story because of laziness. So for your Mr Gilchrist, here it is;


Alpaca is a domesticated species of South American camelid. It resembles a small llama in a superficial appearance. Alpacas are kept in herds that graze on the level heights of the Andes of southern Peru, northern Bolivia, Ecuador, and northern Chile at an altitude of 3500 m to 5000 m above sea level, throughout the year. Alpacas are considerably smaller than llamas, and unlike llamas, alpacas were not bred to be beasts of burden but were bred specifically for their fibre. Alpaca fibre is used for making knitted and woven items, much as wool is. Alpacas are bred exclusively for their meat and fibre. Alpacas are social herd animals that live in family groups consisting of a territorial alpha male, females and their young. Not all Alpacas spit, but all are capable of doing so. Spit is somewhat euphemistic, occasionally the projectile contains only air and a little saliva, althoujgh alpacas commonly bring up acidic stomach contents and project it onto their chosen target. Spitting is most reserved for other alpacas, but an alpaca will occasionally spit at an human.

After the 20 km mark I was mentally tired pushing hard and being belted all over the place by the horrendous road conditions. I wasn't physically tired, I think I was just over pushing hard for no reason. I dropped off the back of the 3 guys and rode my own pace. I could see the green valley below as I climbed higher to the town of Huanta. I thought the road would flatten out and then we would hit the downhill for about 10 kms. I looked at the Garmin and realised I still had a long way to go before I hit the downhill section.

As I rode through town I thought I would hold onto the side of a tuk tuck and get a life up the road. He dragged me about 1 km up the hill nearly pulling my shoulder out in the process, so I had to let go and do it on my own steam.

Once through the busy market town I was back on pavement, nice smooth, fast pavement. I could see on of the guys up the road but I wasn't interested in chasing him. As I reached the summit at 2957 metres the express fire engine truck went past. At this stage I had about 5 kms to go for lunch and it was early. As I cruised along the flat plateau of the mountain range I kept looking for the lunch truck and remembering it got caught on the bridge back in town due to road works. I had 2 options, stop and get my own food, or continue down the mountain and start climbing the 20 km mountain to Ayacucho. 

I roared down the mountain like an idiot and stopped at the bottom to refill the bottoms and pick up some biscuits. I was starving. As the road started to climb I could see Joost in the distance so up the tempo and caught up to him. For the next 15 kms we took our time, stopped for drinks and washed some of the mud off the bikes at the local service station and took off the final push into town. We met up with Alfred and did the final 5 together.

We arrived at the hotel Universo around 1 pm after a fantastic ride which threw everything at us. Thankfully no rain today but a nice 32 degrees C. I got the room key and quickly went upstairs with all our bags, got the washing gear ready, quick shower and shave, and lay on the bed. Barry wasn't long behind and did exactly the same. I suppose it's routine we all get into when we have a rest day coming.

The afternoon was spent with a leisurely walk around the town followed by dinner. 

I've attached some my favorite photos over the past couple of days and also from today, our rest day.
 During our walk of the plaza today we got the attention of the local school children who were had a project of sticking stickers on people. Not sure what it was all about. I got them to sing the National Anthem with hands on their hearts which was pretty neat. No chance of posting the video through this wifi system.
 In the Cathedral was the photo of one of the greatest Popes of modern history.
 I think the above Pope John Paul II is perhaps the greatest of the modern history of the church.
 The above photo was taken of an old Tuk Tuk crossing the railway lines in the sleeping little town of Junin.
 During our time in Huanuco we got to see the celebrations of the National Police Day. It didn't matter how old you were, if you belonged to an organisation your group could parade with the Police.
The above photo was taken in the town of Huaraz. In this town you can find a group of men typing letters on old typing machines using carbon paper for those extra copies. Now that's doing it tough.

Onward with today.

With a cup of coffee and cake it was time to do the weigh in. I got on the scales first and recorded a whopping 68 kgs. Barry weighed in at 71. I certainly don't need to lose anymore. The rest of my afternoon will be spent eating an resting and more markets.

Tomorrow we hit the dirt again and more bush camping. Can't wait.

Until tomorrow, safe riding.

No comments:

Post a Comment