The Garmin 1000 is the leading edge.

The Garmin 1000 is the leading edge.

Thursday, January 20, 2011

Day 6 Desert Camp to Luxor, Egypt.

Day 6.  Desert Camp to Luxor. 95kms

Today was up nice and early but for some reason I found it difficult to get my shit together and get it onto the truck before I had breakfast.  I think I was too tired from all the kms lately.  Got on the bike at 7am for the 45kms to the lunch break.  We did the first 45ks in about 1hr 15mins, which is pretty fast but we had a huge bunch of cyclists.  The thing I should mention was that when we started today it was freezing cold and fog all around.  The military are amazing at looking after us throughout the country.

After lunch I missed my bunch so had the misfortune of trying to sit on the racers which I did for about 5kms then got shot out the back of the bunch.  So hard to sit on whilst on a mountain bike which feels like half a ton of weight between your legs.

Rode into Luxor at 10.30 after riding 95kms to an amazing city.  The monuments are everywhere to see.  Today we got the chance to get access to our permanent bags, clean some clothes which stink, have a shower, first one in 6 days, who cares, I don’t, we all stink the same.  Luke, Lindsay and I went for a ride to find the Boomerang Hotel, what a blast riding a bicycle around the mad streets of Luxor.  We finally found the place, or more like fell over it as no-one speaks English, and confirmed our night’s accommodation.

Mia from the Boomerang Hotel is a young Australian lady who is fantastic and so helpful.  No sooner had I brought 8 more stragglers along, Mia had arranged a felucca ride on the Nile River at 3pm.  We all went on our cruise, just floating with the wind, having a great afternoon.  It’s amazing this journey, from riding like an idiot on a freezing morning, to riding with the racers, then floating down the Nile on a felucca, I do appreciate how fortunate I truly am.  

The night was an easy night at the local Egyptian restaurant which Mia put us onto.  The meal was good and now back to the Boomerang Hotel, some internet work and sleep in a bed and not crap in the desert for a change.

We've just been informed that we are going to Sudan next week.

Cairo to Khartoum proudly supported by the SOTO Group.

No comments:

Post a Comment