The Garmin 1000 is the leading edge.

The Garmin 1000 is the leading edge.

Saturday, January 29, 2011

Beautiful Sudan


Australia Day, 26th January 2011. Wadi Halfa to Desert Camp.  150, kms
After meeting all the new support people that will accompany us to Nairobi, we were fed a fantastic dish of spaghetti and vegetable dish.  Like usual I had two plates fills each time.  By the time I got all my gear into the new lockers I was relieved that it all fit.  Actually I was surprised to say the least.
Bedtime was around 8pm and I was bushed after a long day of the ship and getting through the hassle of immigration and customs which were basically a show of strength by the local military.  The sleep was pretty good and I got up around 6.30am for my first day of cycling in Sudan, Africa.  Today was a 150km ride to the desert camp which is a lot of kms if you’re not feeling well. 
We got on the bikes by 7.30am and by 10.30 we had covered the 75ks to lunch which is still hard to accept at that time of the morning.  The next stop was 12kms later in a Sudanese house which was supposed to be a coke stop but instead I had mint tea which was superb.   The wind was really favourable today and helped so much in making some qui ck time throughout the day.
The local Sudanese guys just sat there with their turbans on and watched as a bunch of stupid white, Lycra clad cyclists decided to stop and pay them a visit.  I really do enjoy stopping at these stops and having a tea and meeting the real people of this part of the world.  The racers got get to see zip as they speed along with their eyes glued to the wheel in front of them.  I don’t see that as fun at all.
We arrived at camp at 1.30pm after the 150km ride which was nice and early to put up tent and go for a walk down to the Nile River and cool down some.  The weather is starting to get really hot now and even in the tent is really cooking.
With an afternoon cup of soup and a cup of tea the day is slowly winding down which has been another fantastic day on my road to Cape Town.    Dinner time now and time eat like a front row footballer for the dragons.
An early night tonight as I’ve got another 150kms to ride tomorrow.  Pleasant dreams.
27th January 2011. Nile Camp to Nile Camp.  150kms
I had a good night’s sleep last night and got up at 6am.  Today I was not going to rush like I usually do as I love my sleep and dragging my arse out of bed is something I don’t like doing at the best of times.  If you don’t do it here you get left behind and end up riding on your own all day and that makes for a long long day.
We got on the road as the sun was trying to rise around 7.30am.  The view as the sun started to light up the desert sand s was really nice and helped sooth the pain of getting out of bed at 6am, which is not normal.  I joined my usual group of riders but they’re going too hard for me and by the time lunch came around at the 80km mark I decided to have a long lunch and wait for a  couple of slower riders to do the final 70km to camp. 
The wind was starting to change and at times we had a really strong headwind to content with and this was making it really hard when my legs were already tired from the day before.  The landscape didn’t change that much from a landscape full of sand and small villages made of mud littering the landscape.  We had the usual group of kids and adults along the roadside yelling and waving at us all day.
We stopped for a coke shortly after lunch as the sun was really getting hot now.  I rode the final part with Dr Gary, Lindsay, John, Peter and Rodney to camp.  Arrived at camp around 1.30pm, set up camp in the desert sands, a couple of cups of soup and time to go for a swim in the mighty Nile River.  The water was freezing, but I couldn’t come this far to say I didn’t go in because it was too cold, that would be un Australian.  The water was super, and so refreshing, but after an hour of being out of the water, I was dusty, dirty, and bloody hot again. 
Tonight will be another easy night and get to bed early as I’ve got 110km to ride to Dongola and a rest day.  This means everyone will ride like maniacs to get to camp early, clean all their dirty clothes, and do the internet.  So I’ll talk you soon from Dongola, Sudan.
Our position for those really clever people is:
Latitude 19 degrees 59’32.24”N
Longitude 30 degrees 34’56.05”E
Altitude 212Meters.
Now find out where the hell I am camping.
28th January 2011. Nile River Camp to Dongola. Sudan. 110kms
After standing around the fire last night I hit the sack and got a great sleep.  Once again I was woken by Rodney the Australian living in Israel.  Extremely nice man.  After packing up my tent and sleeping bag (6am, pitch black and cold)  which wears thin at times, I shovel led down as much food as I possibly could for the fast day ahead.
Hit the road before the sun was rising and it was truly spectacular riding along on my own for the first hour just checking out the lunar landscape.  The air was brisk but I was covered up enough not to be put off at all.  After the hour I was caught by the chasing bunch.  I was pretty tired after the 2 previous 150k days.  Both the young girls questioned me why I wasn’t  pulling any turns, so I told them both, I’m on holidays and I don’t have to do a darn thing, I’m not racing you are so do some work.  Now there a lot of comments for and against sitting on, but when you’re tired and not in the race, but only as an adventurer, then I think I don’t have to do anything, it’s only courteous to help if able.    I’ll certainly update you again with further information when I upset them again.
The afternoon I ride the final 45kms to Dongola with a Sudanese rider who was doing a couple of day with the tour.  We did 3 minute turns each and sat on about 32-34kms.  I did feel tired but also good knowing the fact that I think I’m getting stronger pushing this heavy piece of metal through Africa.
After arriving in Dongola (Dongola Zoo) it was put up tent, have a shower, attempt a shave, and clean my putrid clothes.  Luke, Lindsay and I walked down the road for lunch and had an amazing ½ chicken and rice for $3.00 Aus.  I could’ve ate 2 of them I was so hungry.  For the rest of the afternoon it was basically chilling out as tomorrow is a rest day after riding 400kms in 3 days.  The weather is starting to get really hot also. I also cleaned my chain, sprockets and rear wheel.  Maintenance is so important to keep the bike on the road.
Later on in the evening I went back down the street to see if the local barber was open.  Magic, open.  I went in had a haircut and shave for the same price as ½ a chook and rice.  Not bad. 
I also had to hunt around to buy a Sudanese Sim Card as Telstra are absolute rubbish in this part of the world so I could call home.  This happened last time with Josh the problem with telephone access and the bloke from Telstra ensured me that the package would give me coverage all throughout Africa.  NOT.  I managed to get a sim card without proving I was an alien, and without showing my passport, and he set the whole system up for me.  I sent Graciella and SMS and blow me down it worked.  Graciella and Matt called me within 10 minutes (2.30am Corrimal time) and we got a chance to talk about my journey so far.  I spoke to Graciella and Matt via MSN video in Cairo but nothing in the past 2 weeks.  Now I’ll be able to be contacted over the next 10 days while I’m in Sudan. 
Now 10pm in Dongola, the campsite is quiet and I’m tired.  Good night Corrimal.

3 comments:

  1. As promised.... good to hear you are remaining hygienic Terrrrrrrence Barry!! Jo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Terry,
    Are you glad you got out of Cairo before the s#it went down there?
    I thought Sudan was going to be a hassle for you. Africa is amazing! Hows the bike Going? Any issues yet? Be honest!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi brother! Keep enjoying the trip.You missed alot of trouble in Cairo!

    ReplyDelete