The Garmin 1000 is the leading edge.

The Garmin 1000 is the leading edge.

Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Day 4, Desert Camp to the Red Sea Town of Safaga

Today was a quick run of 100kms from the desert camp to the sea side town of Safaga on the Red Sea.  The first 60kms to lunch time was pretty fast and we did it in about 1hr 30mins due to the strong tailwind.  Even did some work on the front of the bunch, something I not accustomed too, and something I will not be making a habit over the next 4 months.

camping ground on the Red Sea, Safaga

These guys are our protection throughout Egypt.  All are packing pistols.

The beast is taking a break.
The scenery is quite baron with the same of sand hills and mountains of to our right for hundreds of kms. After lunch I got caught by the racers and stayed with them for about 10kms then got spat out the back.  When I get over the cold, I'm going to kick some serious arse. We arrived at the end of the day at 10.30am.  I rode the last 12kms on my own at a nice pace and this gave me a good chance to get prepared to tomorrow's epic 140kms over the mountains.

1 comment:

  1. Who are those 4 shifty looking blokes in Black suits hanging around?

    Is that you fixing a flat tyre in the last photo?

    Attack Attack Attack!

    ReplyDelete