The Garmin 1000 is the leading edge.

The Garmin 1000 is the leading edge.

Monday, August 12, 2013

Walking Split.



Before I get into today’s story I’ll update you on last night.  I decided to go to the church in Split and see what it would be like in Croatian.  Although I have no idea what the priest said, it was interesting to say the least.  Peter decided not to go to church, but instead went to a local tavern for a quiet beer.  After church we returned to the campsite, ordered dinner and devoured a chicken burger and fries in a flash.  We can eat pretty well on tour.
 The photo above is of the small Croatian church I attended last night.After a good night’s sleep we headed into the town of Split on the local bus and checked out the scenery.  Split is located on the shore of the Adriatic Sea and is very spectacular.  We walked the alleys and checked out the Diocletian’s Palace, Cathedral of St Dominus and the Bell Tower. Each was pretty special and built around the time of the 13th Century.  We climbed the stairs of the bell tower and got an incredible view over the city and down into the harbour.  
 I took the above photo from outside the church. It's amazing how clear the water are in this part of the world
 The photo above is of one of the many weird ornaments on the walls in Split.
 The photo above was taken during our walk of Split today.
 The photo above was taken inside Diocletian s Palace, Split.
I took the above photo whilst looking down from the Bell Tower.

St Dominus’s Bell Tower started in the first half of the 13th century and lasted for more then 300 years.  Nicholas Florentine, Andrija Alesi and other masters took part in its building.  The masters took part in its building.  The bell tower was completely restored in 1890—1906.  Its height is 60 metres.  It surely looks a lot higher when you’re standing at the top of the tower.

It was another hot day and being out in the sun was not on the agenda.  We stayed in Split for about 4 hours and returned to the campsite for a much needed swim.

Tomorrow we start the 3 day ride to Dubrovnik and another rest day awaits us.  I’m really keen to see Dubrovnik and it’s historical sites.  My aunty came here a year or so ago and thought it was just magic, so I have to see if she was right.  I’m sure Aunty Jo is always right.  It’s the female thing. So it’s up early, pack up the tent, have some breakfast and hit the road.
 The above photo shows the Bell Tower Peter and I climbed today.  The views were just amazing.
 That's me with the red hat on inside the Palace.  I need to show I'm actually in Croatia.

Until tomorrow, safe riding.

No comments:

Post a Comment