The Garmin 1000 is the leading edge.

The Garmin 1000 is the leading edge.

Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Brsec to Camping Ostro, Kraljevica.

Last night I slept on the floor and Peter had the double bed.  I used my roll out mat and slept pretty good.  I could have had my own room but I thought there was no way I was going to pay 50 Aussie dollars for a bed in a room with no TV or Air con.  We woke nice and early and were on the bikes by 7.30am for a short ride.  Yesterday was 75kms in unbearable heat with mountains to climb.

The first part of the ride was downhill for about 5kms.  The interesting thing about the ride was that after about 2kms there was a sign for a camping ground.  Shortly after that sign there was another sign for another camping ground.  So much for good advice yesterday on accommodation in the area. 

We rolled along and entered the town of Rijeka at the 35km mark.  We found a nice coffee house and had a good hour break out of the sun. As we left Rijeka I kind of got our route wrong.  Well I never admit to making a mistake but I did lead Peter and I onto the major expressway, if that could be a mistake. 

The cars, trucks and buses flew past at 100kph and we had no shoulder to ride on.  We were stuck on the highway until we could find an exit.  We entered tunnels from 250 metres to over 2kms long.  It was slightly scary to say the least. I had to put my headlight on so the vehicles could see me. I could the vehicles screaming up from behind whilst in the tunnel and it was probably the most dangerous riding of the tour thus far.  We did manage to find the exit point at Bakar and were treated to about 10kms downhill to a small village where we regrouped and decided it was time for lunch. 

Lunch was on the shore of the Adriatic watching all the swimmers enjoying their holiday season. Peter decided to jump in and have dip with his riding shorts on, I stayed and minded the bikes.
 The photo above is of the town where we had our lunch break.
 The photo above is at the top of one of many climbs today.  You can just make out the expressway bridges in the distance that we rode on.  Not again.
The photo above is of the shipping port of Rijeka.

After lunch we rolled on to the town of Kraljevica and headed for camping Ostro on the shore of the Adriatic Sea.  It was only 1.30pm and we had ridden 60kms but we wanted an early day for a change and to have a swim.  We found the campsite, pitched the tent and spent the next hour laying in the Sea.  It was so refreshing. 

Tonight Peter is going to make dinner which is always an excellent meal, and I'm going to fine tune our route and distance for tomorrow.  That's my job.

Until tomorrow, safe riding.

No comments:

Post a Comment