The Garmin 1000 is the leading edge.

The Garmin 1000 is the leading edge.

Saturday, August 31, 2013

3 rest days in Prishtine, Kosovo. Sick.



When we arrived in the capital of Kosovo we were really keen on getting out and seeing what the capital was all about.  With the recent history of war crimes, mass killings and the list goes on, we wanted to see firsthand what the UN had done to repair this war torn nation.  

Our first afternoon was walking the streets and eating from local cafes, this is where my story begins.
I went to bed early and woke around 1am feeling sick, I mean sick as can be.  For the next 5 hours I spent my time either in the toilet, laying on the floor of our room because I had no energy to get back on the bed, and also it was closer to the toilet for those emergencies.  I had the worst case of food poisoning for a long time, or a virus.  It didn’t matter what you call it, I was broken.  Those 5 hours seemed the longest 5 hours in years.  I just wanted to go to sleep but couldn’t.  At one stage I rushed off the bed and in doing so, pulled a muscle in my back.  Now I had a real problem, I need a strong back to help push the bike over the mountains that separate us from Macedonia in the coming days.

In the morning Peter went out and got some drink for me and some medication, he was excellent help.  For the rest of the day I lay in bed and didn’t move.  I tried to immobilise my back as much as possible and sleep.  Sleep was easy and I did with perfection for about 95% of the day.  I didn’t eat anything as I remember you starve food poisoning and try and drown it.  I was doing just that.
I had a great sleep on my 2nd rest day and did exactly the same, never left my room and drank heaps of fizzy stuff and took drugs.  So that’s 2 days of my holiday spent in a hotel room, not exciting but there’s nothing more I could do.  Peter has also come down with the same virus and not feeling well.
3rd rest day is today Saturday 31 August 2013.  I slept like a bear last night for 10 hours. Felt good when I woke up and wanted to eat something.  There was no way I was going to make it over the mountain out of town if I didn’t eat anything today.  I had pancakes for breakfast, a banana sandwich for lunch and not sure on what I’m going to eat tonight. 

During our walks today my legs felt good but my body was still tired and my back felt bruised.  We visited the Museum of Kosovo which was interesting, saw a couple of churches and mosques and just took it easy.  A couple of cups of tea and a sleep in the afternoon were all we could manage.

Tomorrow we will leave the capital of Kosovo and head to the Macedonian border.

Until tomorrow, safe riding.

No comments:

Post a Comment