The Garmin 1000 is the leading edge.

The Garmin 1000 is the leading edge.

Sunday, November 2, 2014

Saturday 1st November 2014. Stage 71, San Carlos to Bushcamp. 113 kms, paved 19%, climbing 1177 metres, summit 1890 metres. 4 degrees and rain. Sunday 2nd November 2014. Stage victory comes my way.

When I got up today the first thing I noticed was how cold it was. I checked my temperature gauge on my watch and it read 6 degrees C, and with the clouds overhead it wasn't shaping up to a good day weather wise.

I put all my cold weather gear on and went for breakfast. Everyone was complaining about how cold it was, and the old doom and gloom raised its head once again. That's the name I've given to a particular male person on the tour.

At 8 am we all rolled out rugged up for a long day of riding. The first 20 kms was to a petrol station where we all stopped for a cappuccino and pastries. It doesn't take long before the cyclists take over the cafeteria with coffees and cakes. They also had WiFi, so everyone got on the internet and ignored each other over a nice cuppa.

By the time everyone had left the service station, Knut, Hilde and Kristen and myself were the last to leave and the last on the road. We went about 1 km up the road, turned off the main highway expecting dirt but were treated to another 20 kms of rough pavement. We all took turns at the front on a road that climbed 800 metres altitude in 65 kms to lunch.

As we rode along the scenery was not on my mind, the temperature had now dropped to 3.8 degrees on the Garmin and my toes were getting very cold. Kristen and Hilde had fingerless gloves on, so their hands must have been freezing cold. I had my winter gloves on, so mine were as warm as toast.

With 20 kms to lunch the road went to shit again, sand, rocks and constantly changing direction to find the perfect line. Together with the rain and freezing cold temperatures I knew that there would be people hanging to get on the lunch truck and get a ride to camp instead of putting up with the weather conditions for another 3 hours.

Once at lunch it was the usual food of bread rolls, cheese, tomato, olives, potato salad and some processed meats which I'm not keen on at all. Whilst I was sitting down Walter started to load the truck with bicycles of the people who were catching the truck. Kristen was freezing and she decided to catch the truck.

I left the lunch stop on my own and rode the afternoon with U2, Simply Red, Talking Heads & Adele blasting away in my ears. I rode my own tempo passing James and Barry on roads that needed to be ridden on by a bike with an engine not human powered. I wasn't tired at all during the afternoon ride which took us down to an enormous dam and then through a very dark 1 km tunnel. I did take some photos on my Iphone but unfortunately the lens fogged up and they turned out terrible. I'll find someone who took some photos of the day and will post at a later date.

As I crossed the dam wall and through the tunnel I then had to climb a 3 km hill to reach the summit of the day. As I was climbing the hill I noticed the lunch truck coming down the hill towards me. Walter stopped and told me the day had been cut short due to bad weather and all I had to do was reach the summit and the flag would appear. As I crested the hill I turned right at the flag and rode along another horrendous trail to our campsite for the night.

With the rain falling I quickly set up the tent and got dressed into some dry clothes. It's so hard to get warmth in the body when you're damp and cold. I went to the kitchen and got some soup, a cup of coffee and a handful of biscuits. I also took a handful of chocolate lollies just in case.

After getting my time for the day I was told Michelle had won the stage. I was very happy for her as she really wanted to win and she does put a lot effort into her riding. 2 of the big riders, Joost and Alfred went the wrong way and haven't been seen since. It's now 5 pm and they're still out there looking for them. That's why you ride in groups.

I'm staying in my tent which is the size of a coffin for the rest of the afternoon. After dinner I will return, read for a while and get a good night's sleep. As for tomorrow, I can imagine that the 13 kms less we did today will be tacked onto tomorrow's ride which will make it a cracker. I'll deal that tomorrow.


Until tomorrow, safe riding.

Sunday 2nd November 2014. Stage 72b. 153 kms, Bushcamp to Malargue, paved 75%, Climbing 608 metres, summit 1840. A solo effort from start to finish to claim victory today. 

Firstly an update on Alfred and Joost. The guys took a wrong turn and got lost. The lunch truck found them 40 kms from the end point and had to pick them up; They arrived in camp at 5.30pm, tired and very cold. 

Because yesterday was cut short by 13 kms, that meant we had to do those kms today. Today's total is 153 kms. 

I had a great night's sleep and was so warm. I woke to a 2 degree temperature and flakes of snow falling. It was freezing and everyone had all the clothing on they could find. After the snow, down came the rain and I headed off for breakfast. 

Because Joost and Alfred had to be picked up by the truck yesterday afternoon they lost their EFI status. That means Every F.....ing Inch. People will turn themselves inside out to obtain this goal. Carmen arranged with the forest rangers to take the boys back to the lunch stop from yesterday so could cover that ground again. That will make today's ride for them over 180 kms. Now that's chronic.

We headed out of camp at 8 am to pouring rain and 2 degree temperatures. I had my wet weather pants and jacket on, and my beanie. Oh and the winter gloves. I've got NO idea where I put my wet weather booties so my feet are going to get wet and freeze.

As we hit the dirt road to head south I thought I should put the pressure on and see who wants to go with me. As it turned out Michelle kept pace for a while and no one else followed. The dirt road today was about 60 kms long of fairly well compacted mud. At times I'd slide all over the place but it wasn't that bad. I kept looking over my shoulder, which I never did when I raced, to see if anyone was chasing. I could see about 5 people in the distance, so every climb I would quickly look behind to check on their progress. Each time I looked the gap grew larger and larger. As I pushed on in the pouring rain I was getting mud all over my face, clothes and bike. I was caked in it the stuff.

As I hit the pavement at the 60 km mark I peered around and couldn't see anyone behind. Although I had 93 kms to go I thought, 'what the heck, just go for it and see what happens'. I pushed for 20 kms until I saw the lunch truck in the distance. I made a quick stop and took off my wet weather pants, go some food and put it in my jacket, filled up the bottles and hit the road again. When I got going I couldn't see anyone for miles.

The road after lunch was nice pavement with a slight tailwind for hours. Although I was moving well, you always worry about a group of riders chasing you down. I saw 2 riders up the road and after 30 minutes of chasing, I came up behind Alec and Julia who had started from the lunch truck. I overtook them at a fast pace and just kept going, I couldn't afford to back off at any stage.

With the road getting patchy in places I did have a look around at the 50 km to go point and thought I could see a rider in the distance. When you're getting tired, there's nothing you can do other than to keep pushing as hard as you can. If they catch you then they're on a better ride than you.

As the kms ticked down and the sign for Malargue came into view, my legs were gone and I was really hungry. I still couldn't see anyone behind, so I knew I had ridden 153 kms on my own and was going to win my 3rd stage for the tour. And there was no Buck Benson to steal it from under my nose. 

I entered the town and took a sharp right at the statue of Jesus and rode on down the road 300 metres to the campsite. It was such a relief to ride into the campsite and see the red fire truck and food. I was so hungry, Carmen made me a coffee and Gurdy made a nice bread roll. 

Things to do not stop, just because you finish riding for the day. I had to put up 'Tent Hilton', have a shower and try and get warm. My clothes were saturated and I was still freezing from the snow and rain in the early morning.

I was met by some of the cyclists who took the truck for the day and each one congratulated me for my win. I know it's not a professional race, but to win on your own is pretty neat.  

After food I went for a ride up to the service station with Carmen and got on the net. With a cappuccino and a biscuit I was ready to sit down and type out today's journey.
The photo above was taken at the service station after my win. 

It's now time to head back to camp for dinner and have an early night. I have no intention of racing again until next week. I might choose any easy day than this one. One with downhills, sun and a roaring win pushing right up my, well you know the rest.

Tomorrow is another long day of pavement and dirt and hopefully no rain. The mountains all around have a fresh dusting of snow and if there's wind, then tomorrow will be a very cold ride.

Until tomorrow, safe riding.

No comments:

Post a Comment