The Garmin 1000 is the leading edge.

The Garmin 1000 is the leading edge.

Friday, October 31, 2014

Mendoza to San Carlos. Stage 70, 153 kms, paved 100%, climbing 1100 metres, summit 1580 metres.

After having 3 nights in a swank hotel living it up in Mendoza it was time to get up early and catch the taxi with Barry back to the camping ground to get ready for the ride. The ride today was suppose to be 144 kms, but because I made a mistake and went the wrong way, we ended up doing 153 kms. It wasn't that bad as we had great weather and a beautiful blue sky all day.

As the other riders were returning from the city hotels I was fast trying to organise my clothing bag and put some oil on my chain. I've only had my bike cleaned once on the tour and I won't be doing it again until I get to Ushuaia. I will have to change my chain and cluster soon as they are completely worn out. I've still got another 4000 kms in me before I crash and burn. Now for today's ride.

We left as a group today because we had to navigate back through the city of Mendoza and to the outskirts of town. The Friday morning traffic with it's buses and taxis made life really difficult. Going round roundabouts was a nightmare as cars were not keen to wait and let the entire group pass. With the usual Aussie hand signs the traffic got the message loud and clear and on we went further into the city.

As soon as we left the city limits we were on our way and into one of the most famous wine growing regions of Argentina. As far as the eyes could see, were grape vines rich and green ready for the picking. As a non drinker I couldn't see all the fuss the other riders were making about the good wines in this place. Personally I'd prefer COKE.
The photo above shows one of the many vineyards with the snow capped mountains in the background that followed us all day. What was noticeable today was the drop in temperature. Prior to Mendoza it was hot and now I had to wear my arm warmers and vest to keep me warm. The breeze that was coming off the snow peaks brought with it very cold winds all day.
The photo above is my cycling buddy Barry riding past the vineyards with snow capped mountains in the backgrounds.

With the lunch truck at the 65 km mark it was a pleasant sight to see after 800 metres of climbing in the morning. Actually I was starving by the time I rode 65 kms, probably had something to do with eating a croissant and a cream tart at the hotel for breakfast.

After lunch we had 80 kms to go to reach our final destination at San Carlos. We stopped at the 120 km mark for a drink and were joined by Julia, Alec, Buck, Brian, Deb and KB. One thing I like is sitting down over a cold drink and chatting with other cyclists on the road. Some cyclists go hell for leather all day and never take photos, myself, I like to stop and smell the roses as I may never cross this part of the planet again.

As we ride on down the road, waving at the local and calling out 'Holla' I followed the Garmin's instructions and turned left. Everyone was against the decision but in any event, followed. They followed me for another 10 kms in the wrong direction. Oh well, shit happens.

The Garmin brought us back onto Route 40 which took us along a motorway to San Carlos. We found the campsite, with a pool, and wifi. After erecting 'Tent Hilton' I had my usual bowl of soup and went for a walk of the town. There wasn't much to see, most of the shops were closed, and the children were still in school. 

I headed back to camp and waited for dinner to arrive. I'm really looking forward to hitting the sack and getting a good night's sleep. 

Tomorrow we head back into the wilderness of the Andean Mountains, mountains with snow capped peaks, dirt, sand and rocky roads, in a remote part of the Northwestern region of Argentina. As my good friend Barry says, 'tell me when the fun begins'. 5 more days of hell coming up and I'm really looking forward to having a crack at another win.
I took the above photo heading to lunch. That's Barry in the distance and the snow capped mountains in the distance.

I had great day, even taking in consideration I went the wrong way. Time for bed.

Until tomorrow, safe riding.

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete