The Garmin 1000 is the leading edge.

The Garmin 1000 is the leading edge.

Thursday, October 30, 2014

Rest day 2 in Mendoza, Argentina.

After an ordinary sleep I was up by  8.30am to head for breakfast. Now I know better than anyone that a croissant, cream tart and coffee is not the way to start the day, but I don't care. As my good friend Rodney Hilton Sanders always said to me, 'relax Terry we're on holiday's'. He use to tell me that daily on our trip through Africa. 

Barry and I met up with Buck for coffee in the morning and then Buck and I went for a walk to the bicycle shop to do some shopping. On the way down we jumped in a taxi and you wouldn't believe it, my reading glasses fell out of my pocket in the taxi. I realised about 5 minutes later that I lost them. I'll have to search and buy some cheap ones until I get back to the campsite where I have a spare set. 

Buck bought a pair of gloves and nice cycling shorts whilst the jacket I was going to buy yesterday was sold this morning. That's what happens when you procrastinate over buying simple things. If it was a motor cycle or bicycle I would just buy it. I'll have to wait till our next rest day in 6 days and over 700 kms to start searching again. 

It was a long walk back to the central mall to meet up with Barry for lunch. We also invited Alec to come along and I had my first piece of steak in a very long time. I'm not a meat eater back at home. The meat was nice and covering it in tomato sauce made it perfect.

I was expecting to head back to the hotel for a nap but the boys had other plans.
 The above photo shows a piece of our morning tea.
The above photo is of the famous Buck Benson. Buck was a controversial winner of a stage in the tour recently. That decision is pending an appeal after a drug test.
And that's me of course enjoying an ice cream with my homies.
The above photo is of JR or AB or JL having desert with us. He answers to any 2 initials. Long story.
I forgot to post the above photo in yesterday's story. The southern end of the ground is where well behaved supporters of the visiting team would have stood. Unfortunately they don't have any so they're not allowed to attend the games in Mendoza.

The rest of 'rest day 2' was spent laying on my bed, playing loud music, and relaxing. Tomorrow we start another 6 long days on the road to the 'end of the world'. We have to get up early to get a taxi back to the camping ground to meet up with the rest of the riders. I only got to meet Alec, JR and Buck and Hardy this time round. Although the people I ride with are fantastic people, there are times when you need time to yourself and this was it. 

The next couple of days will be bush camping and in camping grounds. Hope to post soon.

Whilst I listen to REM's 'it's the end of the world' song, I say farewell for another day.

Until tomorrow, safe riding.


No comments:

Post a Comment