The Garmin 1000 is the leading edge.

The Garmin 1000 is the leading edge.

Friday, October 17, 2014

Salta to Cafayate. The circus must roll on.

Thursday 16th October 2014. Stage 58b, Salta to Bushcamp Talapampa. 96 kms, climbing 528 metres, 100% paved, summit 1490 metres.

Since arriving in Salta and enjoying a very interesting party on the Monday night, there was one incident that got everyone talking. Without naming anyone, which would prove absolutely nothing, 2 adults drank too much and had a disagreement. With a little intervention things returned to normality and the dancing and drinking continued.

There was no way I was going to stay in my tent for 3 nights when an air conditioned hotel room was the alternative. I took the soft option and went into town. There were about 10 of us that decided to take the hotel and get close to the action. I could talk a lot about Salta and it's attractions, and yes it is a very nice place, but right now sitting in 'Tent Hilton' in my underwear, sweating like a pig, you will have to check out google to find out what the place is all about.

Having 2 days in Salta to rest and relax was exactly what I did. I caught up with all of the people leaving the tour and I had the best 2 rest days on the tour thus far. I love rest days and I'll have more of them when I get home in December. See, being unemployed, or unemployable as some my mates state, does have it's benefits. I get to ride all around the world and meet some truly special people.

Now for the ride.

The cyclists started returning back to the campsite at 8 am for the 9 am departure. We had one more goodbye from Elizabeth who was leaving the tour and doing other things in South America before returning home. Over the past 2 days I got to say goodbye to Patrick, David from England, about 10 times, Theo and Toast, Hardy and Elizabeth, and it always gives one great sadness to see dear friends leave. 

We rolled out of camp and headed south for the next 5000 kms. Since I've lost my riding partners I teamed up with team Norway. That's Knut, Hilde, Kristen and Dederick. There riding technique is quite simple, ride at a steady pace, stop after 1 hour for coffee, chocolate, coke, chips and whatever else they can find. They would get back on the bike after an hour, ride to lunch and take another hour break.

Today's temperature was unbearable. It reached 44 degrees C at noon and in the shade it was still 37 degrees C. I was very grateful there wasn't much climbing for the day.

After lunch we did much the same, rode for an hour, stopped for more coffee and drinks and got out of the sun in an air conditioned service station. When we came out to get the final 15 kms done, Knut had a flat tire, so it was a quick change and we were on our way again in no time.

We arrived at our bush camp around 4.30 pm. The campsite has a lot of thorns and Kristen got a flat tire as soon as she turned off the road. I ended up walking my bike in.
The above photo is of myself and David on the last day of riding for him.
The photo above is of myself and Elizabeth on the morning of the ride into Salta. Elizabeth is heading off to explore other parts of South America before returning home to the land down under.

The above photo is of Julia, myself, Carmen and Alec. We are wearing our new Argentinian jerseys.

The rest of the afternoon was spent talking and just taking in the beautiful surroundings. Dinner was nice and desert was a sponge cake with cream. I sat around with Carmen, Alec and Julia talking the night away as I was not in the mood to going to my tent yet. By 9 pm I was truly stuffed and needed to catch up on something I didn't get enough of over the past 3 nights, SLEEP. I love my sleep.

Tomorrow the circus will roll on into another town and another camping ground. I hope it has Wifi so I can post some photos of my rest day adventures and also today's action.

Until tomorrow, safe riding.

Friday 17th October 2014. Stage 59, Bush camp to Cafayate, 94 kms, 100% paved, climbing 940 metres, summit 1710 metres.

After a good night's sleep and hitting the road by 8 am I was looking for a cooler day and not so oppressive as yesterday. Once again I rode with Joost, Hilde, Kristen and Rien. 
The photo above is of the silky smooth pavement and spectacular mountains that will follow us all day.

The scenery today was spectacular. Riding along with the river following us all the way to Cafayate we had beautiful mountains of reddish brown, greys and greens that made you feel pretty good.

Lunch was at about 45 kms and situated near a place called Diablo's cave. I found out that this means the port of the devil. I wasn't prepared to venture too far into the place. A couple of us did go in and have a look and take some photos.
 I took the above photo whilst walking up into the cave with Joost and Rien.
 The above photo was taken looking back out of the cave. I do have to get my photo in the post every now and then.
 I found the Australian flag in the last camp so I decided to attach it to the back of my bike. Photo was taken inside the canyon.
The above photo is of Jan Willem, JR, Joost and Michelle. 

After lunch we hit the road and pushed onto the campsite. It wasn't long and we were out of the canyon and looking over a field of lush green vineyards on either side of the road as far as the eyes could see.

As we rode into the town of Cafayate we found a huge ice cream shop. I don't think I've ever eaten so much ice cream in my life as I have on this holiday, so today was not the day to change. I bought a huge ice cream and sat down outside and was quickly joined by more and more cyclists as they come into town.

I rode to the campsite and put up my tent, showered and headed back into town to find the internet shop and post a story. 

Tomorrow we have a short ride and a campground again.

Until tomorrow, safe riding.


No comments:

Post a Comment