The Garmin 1000 is the leading edge.

The Garmin 1000 is the leading edge.

Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Day 6 complete. Time for a rest day in Chilecito. 120 kms today.

Tuesday 21 October 2014. Stage 63, 120 kms, San Blas de los Sauces to Chilecito. Paved 100%, climbing 842 metres, summit 1430 metres. Final day of 6, time to rest up tomorrow and check out the city.

After getting back to the tent around 9.30 pm I slept like a bear in the woods. I got to sleep in till 7 am as breakfast was 7.30 am and departure was 8.30 am. Like usual I was last to leave the campsite and had to do some chasing to catch up with the bunch.

When we left the campsite the sun was already belting down on us, so I knew this was going to be another hard day on the road. Our group was about 10 strong and by the lunch stop we were about 14 riders. Lunch stop was at 70 kms and because there were no towns in between for a coffee stop, it was a long slog to the fire engine.

The road was nice and smooth and once again the scenery was exactly the same as yesterday. At one stage when I was on the front of the pack I noticed a huge snow capped mountain in the distance standing at over 5000 metres. I never get bored at the scenery we get to see each day on tour, whether it be flat baron lands or mountains with a million colours, it's still pretty cool to be turning those pedals.

Lunch was under a straw hut out of the midday sun. I think from the pace this morning, I could tell that everyone was feeling the affects of 6 days on the road.

From lunch we had 50 kms to the town of Chilecito where we will be having our rest day tomorrow. We only had one long climb today but not steep at all, just a steady drag and a sharp left turn and down to the finish line. We rode into a city that was closed for the afternoon siesta and down to the our apartments. We have 4 in our room, JR, Buck and Barry. Since Barry got into the room first he claimed the double bed upstairs. The 3 of us will have to make do with the beds downstairs in the kitchen.

We got to the apartment at 2 pm and settled in like we always do, throw our gear everywhere and make a complete mess for the next 2 days. Since it's so hot now, we're going to rest up and then catch a cab back up into town for diner. I have no idea what this place has to see, so tonight I'll have to do some web surfing.

Currently we're all sitting outside a cafe on the local plaza. The Wifi will not allow me to upload photos. I'll find an internet shop tomorrow on my rest day and post some photos.

Until tomorrow, safe riding.

No comments:

Post a Comment