The Garmin 1000 is the leading edge.

The Garmin 1000 is the leading edge.

Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Going to a football match in Argentina. Police fire into crowd.

On a rest day you do very little other than eat too much, and too much of unhealthy food, and put on the weight you lost during the past 6 days. So what did I do today?

Today was a nice sleep in till 7.30 am, followed by breakfast, then off to the bike shop to buy something special. After that I went to the markets and bought yet another shirt. But this is really nice.

I ran into Hardy and we organised to go out and watch the local team play at 4.30 pm. The match was in Mendoza and the local team is Club Atletico Argentino. I don't know the name of the other team. I was surprised at the number of police and riot police at the ground. What was more surprising was that the other team were not allowed their supporters at the ground because of recent violent outbursts with rival club supporters.

The game was started at a furious pace with players being booked for foul play whilst the crowd sang and played drums during the entire game. It was an incredible atmosphere sitting with the locals who are very vocal when things don't go their team's way.

With about 5 minutes to go to half time the local team equalised to make the score 1 all. I managed to take a short video of the crowds reaction to the goal.
With half time now called, Hardy and myself met up with the President of the club for a tour of the club house. We got to see all the trophies the club had won over the years and also got a chance to buy the club's jersey. There was one jersey left and after some discussions with Hardy I decided that he could have it. The club President wouldn't take any money for the jersey which is just typical of the generosity of the people we have met in Argentina.
The above photo is one of the riot police carrying a shotgun and a rubber bullets rifle. These guys mean serious business.
The mounted police also turned up to control the crowd outside the stadium.
That's my good friend Hardy waiting outside the gates of the local football stadium.
The photo above is Hardy and the club President presenting Hardy with an official pennant from the club. Hardy offered the pennant to me, but there was no way I could accept. I've got enough stuff in my computer room and I need room to put my 3 metre X 3 metre banner on the wall. That's the photo of me balancing on my wheel on the salt plains.
The photo above is Hardy wearing his new jersey and the pennant.
The photo above was taken when the game had to be stopped temporarily due to flares going off in the crowd. When the fireworks went off, I think my heart stopped for a moment. The noise was deafening.

After 90 minutes of play the game was decided on penalties. It was a cup match and a winner had to decided today. When the players were lining up to take the penalties the riot police came onto the ground to control the crowd who were now whipping up a frenzy in the stands. They jump, shout and sing like someone being possessed.
The photo above shows some of the riot police getting in position during the penalty shoot out.

At the end of the penalty shoot out the local team lost and this caused the crowd to go off their heads. The riot police entered the stands and took up their positions and when the supporters started to come at them, they opened fire with rubber bullets. This was incredible scene of how mob behaviour can cause people to behave like animals. 

The police didn't let up and kept firing until the crowd retreated. I was just stunned watching this all unfold before my eyes. Sitting in a grandstand with people who were fanatical supporters for their local team and anything but a win was not accepted.

Eventually calm was restored and the teams left the field.  Hardy and I made a quick exit as more police were now entering the stadium. I wanted to get out and get back to the safety of the plaza and my hotel. I love excitement but when the bullets started, I was a little concerned.

We made it back to the centre of town and went our own ways. I had dinner on my own as Barry had already left. After dinner I decided to go back to the hotel instead of walking the streets of Mendoza on my own. That would not be wise.

An early night is on the cards.

Until tomorrow, safe riding. 

No comments:

Post a Comment