The Garmin 1000 is the leading edge.

The Garmin 1000 is the leading edge.

Tuesday, November 11, 2014

2 days. Junin de los Andes to Villa La Angostura. Like riding in Switzerland.

Monday 10th November 2014. Stage 79, Junin de los Andes to Ruta de 7 lagos. Paved 98%, climbing 997 metres, summit 1290 metres. No race today, steady peleton all the way. Lakes and mountains.

Last night was spent up at a restaurant having coffee and updating the website. We all then headed to the local ice cream parlor and devoured a triple crown ice cream. For about $1.50 AUS. I eventually got back to the campsite at 10 pm for bed.

I learnt that at our campsite we have 48 species of bird life, 5 chickens, 1 rooster, 2 donkeys, about 5 dogs, all about 5 metres from my tent. During the evening I got to hear them call, squawk, scream, bark, eeee orrrr, squeal to each other from 10.05 pm to 7.15 am. What a shit sleep.

Because we only had 90 kms to ride today we were allowed to sleep to 8am and departure was 9am. Didn't help much to me.

We all rolled out of camp and headed up to the highway for the slow headwind ride to lunch at 43 kms. Lunch was in the touristy town of Villa La Angostura on the lake. Today we will pass 3 lakes all of which offer spectacular views, with pine tree forests all around.

We had a peleton of about 20 riders, but what happens is that many of the riders don't like hitting the front and taking a turn, so it's the same people who do the majority of the work. It happens when it comes to packing and unpacking the truck each day. But that's another story.

As we kept together into the headwind we travelled along smooth roads with snow capped mountains and a headwind that was dragging the pace down to around 20 kph. With a couple of small undulating climbs it wasn't long before we rolled down into the lunch stop. The truck was located in the main plaza square and like usual there were a couple of cyclists who ride on by and missed it. I stopped and had a quick sandwich and the a couple of us went up the road for a coffee, piece of apple crumble pie and whipped cream. Since I had 50kms to go to reach camping Playa Falkner.

Once we got back on the road we started the 15 km climb to reach the summit for the day. I rode with Buck all afternoon, and I thoroughly enjoy his company. He comes from a beautiful part of the world called 'Lake Superior', Minnesota, USA. One day I would like to go and visit Buck and also my good friend Len DeMoss.

As we climbed away from the first lake the view looking down into the waters with pine trees and millions of yellow plants were just startling. We had no breeze and the sun was shining bright as we climbed and climbed. I stopped plenty of times to take photos of all 3 lakes and the surrounding mountains.

The last 50kms to our campsite were rolling hills with more snow capped mountains and a dramatic drop in temperature. As we got closer to camp I could see the massive pine trees above us full of snow and cloud starting to cover the peaks of all the mountains. I have no doubt that tonight is going to be one cold night in 'Tent Hilton'.

We stopped before the final descent to check out a small waterfall and then roared down into our campsite situated right on the shores of a lake. We pitched our tents on nice green grass instead of dirt or gravel with the door of the tent looking out over the lake.

Tonight I'm required to help feed the cyclists and wash the dishes. I usually grab the tea towel and dry the dishes as I don't like getting my hands dirty. The only thing I've ever got on my hands is pen in my years of work. I'm not going to change at this stage of my life.

As for tomorrow's ride, I think it's about 65 kms all uphill. As long as it doesn't rain, I'm ready for it. Day 4 of 6 on the road to Bariloche, completed.


Until tomorrow, safe riding.
I had the above photo taken about a week ago. Every afternoon when we get the chance we go for a walk in search of Cerveza, more commonly known as Alcohol. That's Buck in the middle and Barry on the right,.
 The above photo was taken during our 161 km ride last week. That big fella next to me is Joost.
 I took the above photo yesterday. That's Gerdy our fabulous Chef on tour. Great meals everyday.
The above photo is of the famous mountain climbing Buck Benson. The town in the distance is the one we climbed out of yesterday on the way to our lakeside campsite at  de 7 lagos.

Tuesday 11th November 2014. Stage 80, Ruta de 7 lagos to Villa La Angostura. 61 kms, paved 40%, climbing 890 metres, summit 1143 metres. A quick 61 kms and no time to stop for lunch.

The best way to start a day is to sleep to 8.30am for a 9.30am departure. Because it's a short stage we were allowed to sleep in. I slept like a bear.

I rolled out of camp with Max and soon we were on our own climbing up and down rolling hills in a pine forested mountain. It was just like Slovenia last year with all the trees and stunning mountains all around us. It was lightly raining all morning and when we hit the dirt the road turned to mud. I slipped all over the place but Max did a good job with his fat tires and rode away from me. It wasn't a race stage so I was in no hurry to catch him. I was stopping all the time taking photos and having a relaxing time. Lately I've been feeling very strong on the bike and getting off at the end of each day feeling fresh as can be. 
 I took the above photo looking out of my tent this morning. That's Barry in the photo.
During the morning ride we had to follow the freezing cold river that came off the snow capped mountains. Today they all had cloud over them and light rain falling. 

I had no intention of stopping for lunch considering we only had ridden 35kms, so I continued on along beautiful pavement, rolling hills and only 1 climb for the day. The climb out of the lake was 5 kms long and a 480 metre climb. These climbs are now getting very easy.
Buck took the photo above the other day when we tried to watch a movie. Unfortunately only in Spanish and no English sub titles.
The temperature around 11am turned cold and the rain got heavier. I only had about 20kms to so I knew I would be in camp by midday.

As I made the final climb out of the lake it was all downhill to our final destination for the day. I was the first into camp and Barry was only minutes behind me. He also decided not to stop for lunch on such a short stage.

I just received a message from Peter to say he's not able o meet me in Bariloche. Looks like we'll have to do in Australia when I get home.

I arrived in camp and did exactly what I do every other day, so I'm not going to going into it today. 

Once Barry and I were organised we headed off into town and did some shopping. 

You wouldn't believe it, but I bought another T-shirt. I have to go back to buy the cap after coffee and cake.

The campsite is pretty good with heaps of grass and it's only a 500 metres walk into town. 

Tomorrow is a 85 km ride to Bariloche and another rest day awaits us. 

Until tomorrow, safe riding.

No comments:

Post a Comment