The Garmin 1000 is the leading edge.

The Garmin 1000 is the leading edge.

Friday, November 14, 2014

Friday 14th November 2014. Stage 82b, 123 kms, San Carlos de Bariloche to El Bolson. Victory No.4 on Tour. More controversy leads to Alec leaving Tour.

I had a great dinner last night and a fantastic sleep. I decided that today was going to be the day that I go for broke and give it everything. Either you win or die trying.

Now there is one thing I want to discuss before I get into today's ride. About 4 nights ago Alec was assaulted by another rider in the tour. The evidence which is not challenged indicates he was talking to a friend when this cyclist walked up and punched him in the mouth. We call this at home a 'coward punch' or a 'king hit'. Alex gave the company an ultimatum, either the perpetrator leaves or he will. Without going further into all the discussions and emails, an apology was offered by the perpetrator and the company which was not accepted by Alec. As a result I said a fond farewell to Alec today before I rode out of town.

I can not find an angry bone in Alec's body and no one deserves to be king hit for doing nothing. In New South Wales if you do this you will go to gaol.
I found this interesting figure the other day in the town of Villa de Angostura.
The photo above was taken this morning with Alec and myself before the race. We had such a good time together and he had a smile that would light up your day. I look forward to catching up with Alec when I get home.

We rolled out of the hotel at 9am to ride the 123 kms to El Bolson. I didn't tell anyone other than Barry what I intended to do. We headed out through the centre of town and took a sharp right and then we started a steep climb of 2 kms at 18% gradient. I just followed James's wheel, and Alfred was right behind me. By the time we reached the summit we had about a 100 metres gap on the chasing bunch. I just kept going and soon James was off the back and chasing myself and Alfred.

Currently Alfred is about 5 hours behind James in the race to the end of the world, and today he his goal was to take 30 minutes out of James's lead.

The race today was on the major highway south called Route 40. Alfred and I continued to do equal work whilst I did the majority of the work on the climbs. The terrain was mainly rolling hills with about 3 long climbs before lunch at the 60km mark. The mountains are still covered with snow, but that didn't stop us from riding in beautiful conditions with the sun blazing down upon us. It was the first time in quite a while that I got a good sweat up. Haven't done that since Salta.

With pine forests as far as the eyes could see, and spectacular mountains all around we crested a climb and started to roar down into yet another valley. As we were hitting around 70kph, Alfred noticed the red fire engine parked off on the side of the road. I actually would have missed it if it wasn't for Alfred. We quickly stopped, filled up our bottles and took a couple of bananas and got back to the race.

I felt so strong in the morning and at times I thought about riding away from Alfred, but I knew we had to stay together if he were to achieve the 30 minute goal.

After lunch the road had a couple of good descents and 3 major climbs. Once again I got on the front and did all the work up the climb. I just tapped away and kept the same pace making sure Alfred was right on my wheel. At one time I noticed he had dropped back and was finding it hard to hang on up the climb. It was at this stage I thought I might have a chance to come in on my own and not as a group. When I was racing I always loved coming in on my own, it gave me a sense that I had completely done the job.
 The world map above will give you an idea of where we are in relation to your part of the planet.
This has to be one of the nicest parts of the world to ride in. Everyday I get to live the dream on this tour.

With 20 kms to go and with the road now going down into the valley, I got on the front and did a hard turn for the next 10kms. I then checked my Garmin a couple of times as I decided to attack Alfred with 5 kms to go. As we entered the town of El Bolson I came around Alfred and pushed as hard and fast as I could to try and create a cap. There is one thing I learnt throughout my racing career, and that is you never look back when you decide to go, and you leave nothing in the tank. It's all or nothing.

After about 1 km I looked behind and Alfred was a good 200 metres behind. I kept pushing through the town and out to where we are camping for the night. I can tell you it's a good feeling to see the 'Bike Dreams' flag and know you have won the stage. That now takes my total to 4 wins. For the next 6 days I intend to ride with the peleton, stop for coffee and cake, and enjoy myself and the marvelous scenery.
I got my photo taken after the win, but unfortunately no podium girls. Have to work on that next time.

Tomorrow is 106 kms and plenty of dirt and climbing. Personally I don't give a shit, I'm on holidays.


Until tomorrow, safe riding.

No comments:

Post a Comment