The Garmin 1000 is the leading edge.

The Garmin 1000 is the leading edge.

Sunday, November 16, 2014

El Bolson to Futaleufu. Riding the National Park. Today we enter Chile.


Saturday 15th November 2014. Stage 83. El Bolson to NP Los Alerces. 106 kms, paved 65%, climbing 1233 metres, summit 800 metres. A nice easy recovery ride.


Like usual I was the last to leave the campsite and everyone was already up the road. I just chugged along and eventually caught up to Barry. Joost, Alfred and James were already up the road so there was no use chasing them down, even though the race today was only to lunch. I wanted to ride with Barry as we don't ride together that much lately.

The length of today's stage has been changed from 106 kms to 88 kms because Rob the Boss has been unable to get in contact with the people at the camping ground at NP Los Alerces. That means that 18 kms will be tact on to tomorrow's 125 kms which also involves the border crossing into Chile. Tomorrow looks like a long tough day in the saddle.

Back to the ride.

Barry and I rolled along all morning on a nice road which at times had tailwind, crosswind and headwinds to deal with. We had a couple of long climbs but none to difficult as the road was not all that steep. The scenery was now changing as the snow capped mountains were further away from the road and the valleys were now catering for sheep and cattle. Huge pastoral areas were now popping up everywhere, but still no towns to stop for a coffee and cake stop. Today it's all about doing the kms and getting the day over with.

At the 68 km mark we could see the red fire engine parked on the side of the road next to a famous old shack. It is said that it was at one time the hideout for 'Butch Cassidy & the Sundance Kid'. Damn I loved that movie. After looking at it, I'm not sure whether it was the right shack or not, as there were no signs anywhere and no one was around the place.

After lunch we got a peleton together and rode for about 10 kms before we hit the dirt. The dirt road is the one we will take for the next 250 kms or so. This road was not that bad, some rocks, lose gravel, sand, and a couple of small climbs. The weather all day was perfect, the sun was out, and we were in cruise mode enjoying the day.

After 88 kms we reached the 'Bike Dreams' flag and turned off to our campsite. I have no idea where this place is, other than to say 18 kms away from where we're suppose to be. You know what I do when I get into camp each day, and that's exactly what I did.

Arriving in a desolate campsite at 1.30pm and having done everything by 2.30pm leaves a long time to sit around do nothing. As we have 3 huge days in the dirt coming up I'll need all the rest I can get.

I'm currently sitting in 'Tent Hilton' hiding beside an old caravan trying to get out of this howling wind. Seriously the wind is blowing gale force and tents out in the open are copping a beating. I think I found the best place to set up camp for the evening.

Well, it's getting close to 8pm and past my bedtime.

Until tomorrow, safe riding.

Sunday 16th November 2014. Stage 84. NP Los Alerces to Futaleufu. 143 kms, paved 30%, climbing 1387 metres, summit 780 metres. What a great day riding through the Los Alerces National Park.

Because we ended our day 18 kms short yesterday, that means we are now doing 143 kms. A big day and we have to cross the Chilean border.

The wind blew for quite some time last night and at stages I couldn't see the other tents because of the dust and leaves that were blowing up through the valley. At times I was afraid 'Tent Hilton' would be just a memory and then I would have to find another person to camp with. I don't think Bazz would be happy with that idea.

Today was breakfast at 7am and departure at 8am. I prefer this time even though it makes me get out of bed far too early in the morning. There was no racing today, so the agenda was to cruise, take photos and enjoy the National Park.

The first 60 kms was unpaved on a pretty good surface. We entered the National Park and soon found ourselves in a land full of huge trees overhanging the road all morning and a massive blue lake that would follow us to lunch time. The mountains are still covered with snow, but they are slowly melting away into the river and lakes in this part of Argentina. The ride was just superb, beautiful scenery looking out across the lake and up into the mountains all morning, made riding such a pleasure. I was taking it easy and for once riding with people I don't usually ride with. I must remember to do this more often.

Just before lunch I was roaring down a hill hitting bump after bump and then my water bottle cage broke in 2. My bottle went down the road, and when I picked it up I realised the lid had broke as well. Now I had the shits. I rode onto lunch taking time out to take photos of the lake and mountains, and enjoying the cool breeze that was now coming off the lake.

I could see the lunch truck parked on the side of the lake and it looked like one of those lunch stops you could stay at for hours. I pulled in and got my lunch ready and took up a seat next to my good mate, the famous Buck Benson. Looking out over the lake on a beautiful sunny day with the snow capped mountain in the distance was pretty tough, but I accepted it with open arms. I just couldn't imagine this day getting any better.

With lunch now tucked away in my belly, it was time to hit the dirt for about 5 kms and on with the pavement. The nice slick pavement was exactly what I was hanging for. Like usual I got to sit on the front for the next 10 kms then Barry and Buck took their turn. Within no time, we were rolling down into the town of Trevelin. We covered the 31 kms after lunch in just over 1 hour.

With 50kms still to go for the day, we decided to stop at a nice restaurant for coffee, ice cream and a coke. It was going to be a long day with the border crossing so adding another 30 minutes to the day wasn't going to cause the slightest of problems. We sat back on the pavement watching the world go bye and never saw one cyclist go past. These coffee stops are so refreshing and a good way to break up the afternoon's ride.

Now it was time to remount and get to the border. The Argentinian and Chilean border post was another 40 kms away and all on dirt, rock and sand. They say there are no easy days on the Andes Trail and today is looking like being another one of them. 

We hit the dirt and everyone rode their own tempo. Walter had stopped the fire engine about 30 kms from the finish, which was 10 kms from the border, for a refill stop. I topped up my bottle and put it in the remainder of the back rack and headed off. After about 30 minutes of riding I put my hand at the back of bike expecting to grab my bottle and low and behold, 1 more bottle was missing. I now had the shit even more. I looked around and couldn't see a thing. No option other than to press on.

I made the border post at 4.30 pm and it was a quick stamp and I was on my way to Chile. Of course I got the mandatory photo of entering Chile and then went and got a entry stamp into the country. The next 10kms to Futaleufu was on pavement through a valley with high mountains surrounding us and cattle all over the place.

We entered town and went straight to the hotel Rio Grande where we're staying for the night. We have good room and our own shower, WiFi is a bit hit and miss, but I'll go down to the plaza after dinner to try and get on.

Tomorrow is another day of playing in the dirt, rocks and sand. More climbing, but as long as the sun shines I'm happy.

Until tomorrow, safe riding.

No comments:

Post a Comment