The Garmin 1000 is the leading edge.

The Garmin 1000 is the leading edge.

Saturday, March 16, 2013

Buriram.


The thing I like about staying in nice places is that the breakfast starts at 7am.  After a nice brekkie we were on the road by 8am for the relative short ride to the town of Buriram.  Buriram is your typical Thai mini city.  They have everything you want, like a bike shop I just had to go and visit.  I did look at their jerseys but they weren't that great.  The shop did have some very expensive bicycles with all the racing gear.  There is one thing Buriram is famous for, they have a big football club.  Just last week they played FC Seoul, and on the 2 April 2013 they play Adelaide City.  Unfortunately we won't be able to make it as we'll be somewhere else.  I have no idea where that will be, I just leave it to Len, he knows where we're heading.
 The Road north again was excellent.  Great pavement with a shoulder wide enough for 2 people to ride side by side.  The road was dead flat and at times we were really moving along with a slight tailwind, then all of a sudden it was hitting us head on.  The conditions today were really strange.  As least we didn't have to contend with temperatures over 100 degrees.  Today's distance was 58kms.

We fell over the place we were looking for, called the Rinradee Place with a bit of help from the locals.  Once settled in I went for a walk of the town coming across some interesting sights.  I couldn't work out why there was  an sulky made of timber sitting on this persons verandah.  I walked up onto the verandah and took the above photo.  Who cares, no one was home.  I never seen anyone travel around this place on sulky.
 What is very common  in Thailand and also Cambodia are the shrines that people put at the front of their homes, shops or in parks.  The Thai are spiritual people and always stop and pray to the Hindu god and then continue on.  This shop had thousands of them for sale from huge to small ones.  Too big to carry on the bike.
 I'm always in the hunt for unusual signs to photograph.  I couldn't work out why you would go to the effort in putting up a road khm sign with 0 on it.  It was outside a house and had no meaning at all.  I suppose it means you've reached 'something'.  Not sure what that something is.  I continued my walk back to the hotel to get out of the sun and relax.
Our hotel is 450 Baht a night with breakfast.  And you guessed it, breakfast is 7am.  I'm sleeping in. 

Tonight we're going to the local market to try out the local cuisine, and I mean food.

Tomorrow we have an easy day to Surin.

Safe riding.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Terry, I am really amazed to learn that the Thai pray to the Hindu god :-) - just read part of your blog again because I am heading out to Southeast Asia in November ! Keep on roling.... take care

    ReplyDelete