The Garmin 1000 is the leading edge.

The Garmin 1000 is the leading edge.

Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Angkor Wat, Cambodia

 Well we finally arrived at Siem Reap Cambodia around 10.30pm last night.  We were picked up by the hotel and taken to the Ankor Hotel which is really flash.  I have a huge room and the pool is marvellous.

So after booking into the hotel, feeling dusty and dirty, we decided to start putting our bikes together.  By 11.45pm my bike was together.  I went over to Len's room and his room was in a mess.  I left him to himself and I headed back to my room for a nice shower and get ready for tomorrow.  I was so looking forward to getting on the bike and having a ride.

With a nice breakfast we were on the road by 9.30 to head out to the world famous Angkor Wat.  Now this has been shown on Lonely Planet, Getaway, discovery channel and National Geographic.  Now it's been tainted by the Aussie and the Yank.  We had a great time and have only seen half the place.

We're going back tomorrow for 1/2 a day and this will give us time to have a look at the city before we start our first real day of cycling on this tour.



The photos are all inside Angkor Wat or Angkor thom.  Both incredible historical sites of Cambodia which date back to the 11th Century AD.
 the ride out to Angkor Wat was quite pleasant.  Len bought me this mirror that clicks onto my sunglasses.  He reckons I need this to save my ass from the mad drivers.

If you want to visit this place make sure you take plenty of water and a hat, because it gets really hot.  Actually it's unbearable at times.  There's plenty of children selling bottles of water for 1 US and T-shirts for 2 US.  I don't need anymore rubbish to put in my pannier bangs.



Today we rode about 20ks and tomorrow will be close to the same.  It's good get these old tired legs going again.  I intend to inflict pain into Len as soon as we hit the highway for the long slog to the Thailand border.

More historical sites tomorrow and a swim.  Life's a bitch isn't it.

1 comment: