The Garmin 1000 is the leading edge.

The Garmin 1000 is the leading edge.

Thursday, September 12, 2013

The ride to Athens, day 1. Ioannina to Amfilochia.

Peter set the alarm today for 6am, but when we woke it was still pitch black outside.  I forgot we gained an hour once we entered Greece and perhaps I should have had the alarm for 6.30am.  No problem, still got away at 7am to start the ride to Athens. I had to put my lights on as the sun had not come over the mountain to the east of the city. Peter was staying behind for a couple of days of rest and we'd meet up again on Sunday night when I hopefully arrive.
 The photo above shows the distance to Athens.  Not too bad.

The route I took was along the main highway until I reached the town of Arta.  When I left Ioannina it was about 75kms away.  I made good time due to one climb and a long descent that went for a couple of kilometres.  The photo below is of the old bridge that has now been replaced.  There is a lot of history in Arta and a fortress on the hill overlooking the city, but I'm only interested in Athens right now.
 Once I rode through Arta, I had to take a back road through the towns of Menidi and Kompoti before reaching Amfilochia, a distance of 120kms for the day. The traffic was good and I had the good shoulder to ride on.  I did stop for the mandatory Aussie morning tea and bought a pasty that was full of almonds and sultanas, absolutely beautiful.  See I do stop when I'm on my own.

It wasn't long and I finally got to see the Sea again. Actually it's called the Ambracian Gulf. The road is very similar to the Croatian coastline with beautiful clear waters and a couple of nutters taking a dip in the cold waters.  I didn't even put my little toe in to check the temperature.

I kept rolling and entered my destination at 1pm.  I went to Hotel Oscar which was rubbish for 30 Euro.  No air con, wifi, TV, breakfast.  I decided to look elsewhere and found a better place.  Cost 30 Euro but has everything.  They did want 35 for a single with breakfast, but I don't like eating eggs and bacon for breakfast, so they dropped the price to 30 Euro.  I have my own cereal and went for a walk around the town to buy some bananas and yogurt for tomorrow.  I can't wait to get to Istanbul and go to Macca's for breakfast.  I might even shout my cycling buddies on this special occasion.
 The photo above is looking across the road from my hotel into the Ambracian Gulf. 
The photo above is looking at the town of Amfilochia.

Tomorrow I'm heading to Rion Camping which is very close to Patra a town Graciella and I visited over 30 years ago.  It's about 100kms away from where I am now, and that will leave me 200kms to Athens.

Until tomorrow, safe riding.

No comments:

Post a Comment