The Garmin 1000 is the leading edge.

The Garmin 1000 is the leading edge.

Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Never a dull moment on tour.



Even though our accommodation was nestled on the side of a major intersection, we still slept like logs.  We woke around 7.30am, got packed, and headed downstairs for our breakfast.  We hit the road around 8.30am heading south for Ioannina which is 35kms away.  We had a beautiful day for the ride and I was looking forward to our rest day tomorrow after riding mountains all week.

After riding about 5kms Peter pulled over and it was clear he was not well.  He had dizziness last night and was suffering the same symptoms today but much worse.  We rode up a slight hill and he had to stop again, more dizziness and total lethargic.  Peter had no energy to ride on.  It was time to catch a lift.

I put out the magic finger and within 5 minutes this guy in a van stopped and asked if everything was OK.  After explaining the situation, we loaded the bike into the van and Peter was off to Ioannina to see a doctor.  I rode the final 15kms on my own, which was flat and a slight tailwind to help me into town.  

I arranged with Peter to send me a message on facebook when he located a hotel, and I would meet him there.  I stopped at a coffee shop with wifi, ordered a cup of tea and was screwed over for 3 Euro.  Now that’s bullshit prices.  

I located the hotel on my iPod and routed the way to the Galaxy Hotel.  I found Peter laying down and feeling pretty ordinary.  After a shower we caught the bus to the University of Ioannina Hospital.  I spoke briefly with a couple of people who told me that the emergency was closed today, but I insisted that a Dr had to see Peter.  We were directed downstairs, and a Dr came down and assessed Peter within 15 minutes.  His blood pressure was low, so an ambulance took Peter to the major hospital in town.

With blood tests and more tests, Peter is now back in the hotel with clear instructions from the doctor to rest.  Now that will be hard for someone like Peter to do.  He likes a challenge and that exactly what he got this week.  He may be down, but it’s only temporary.

We now have to sit down and work out the next phase of the holiday.  We’ll do that over dinner tonight and see what options we can come up with on how we both get to Athens.

I’m hungry and going to find some good Greek food to devour.

Until tomorrow, safe riding.       

No comments:

Post a Comment