The Garmin 1000 is the leading edge.

The Garmin 1000 is the leading edge.

Saturday, September 14, 2013

Rion to Korinthos. 130kms.

I always like to start the day with covering how I slept last night, as a bad sleep makes the riding that little bit harder.  I was woken around 1.30am by noise from another room and found it difficult to get back to sleep.

I was out of the room and on the way by 7.30am. As soon as I hit the road I noticed I had a strong tailwind blowing down the Gulf of Corinth.  There's nothing better to a cyclist than a strong tailwind.  I did manage to take a photo of the bridge as I was leaving town, and it looks just as impressive as the first time I saw it yesterday.

I had to take the coast road as I was forbidden to ride the motorway.  As if that's stopped us before.  The coastal route run along the Gulf all day meandering through narrow villages that just allowed for 2 vehicles to pass at the same time.
 The above photo was taken when I decided to ride the bike path for a couple of kms.
 The photo above is of one of the road signs that I suppose to understand.  Which way to Athens?
The photo above was taken of the bridge earlier today.

The first part of today's ride were rolling hills until about the 50km mark when it became dead flat.  I was roaring along at times sitting on 30kph with little effort involved, so I pushed on and took lunch at 11.30am. 

As the day went on, the wind increased, so I thought I might try and get more than the 100kms I had planned for today.  I ended up rolling into the town of Korinthos at 2.30pm with 130kms on the clock, and this will now make tomorrow's ride to Piraeus much easier. 

I've spoken to Peter and he made it to Athens on the bus and is feeling nearly 100%. Peter could have a leg hanging off and tell me he's feeling fantastic, so I'll wait and see him tomorrow afternoon before I pass judgment on him.  Once in Athens he then had to ride onto Piraeus where we'll be holding up for the next couple of nights doing some sightseeing. 

I hope I'm not disturbed tonight like I was last night by some one doing the highland fling or whatever you call it at 1.30am.

Until tomorrow, safe riding.

No comments:

Post a Comment