The Garmin 1000 is the leading edge.

The Garmin 1000 is the leading edge.

Saturday, September 28, 2013

Aliaga to Bergama. A windy 40kms.

Today was always going to be a nice ride to lead us into our rest day at Bergama some 40kms away. 

As soon as we left Aliaga we had a great road and a nice tailwind.  The wind was changing all day hitting us from the side and eventually a strong headwind for the final 10kms into Bergama. Nice roads, gentle hills and a sunny sky overhead, made it another great day on the bike.

As I've mentioned so many times, we must have our morning tea break everyday, and today was no exception.  Len found a good stop at the service station.  The shop was closed but there was a urn on a table outside with hot water and hot tea.  I poured myself a cup and waited for the attendant to come over.  He was just like the man yesterday, wouldn't take a cent for the tea and all he wanted was for us to love his country and be safe.

Back on the bike for the final 25kms to our final destination.  Now the wind was hitting us from the east and this meant it would be a strong headwind as we got off the main highway and headed to Bergama.  I didn't care as I see any hard work good work, but that only applies to cycling of course.

We rode into town around 11.30am and Len directed us straight to the Efsane Hotel which is very nice.  Peter and I have a nice room with all the mod cons, and there's a swimming pool on the top floor.  After changing into my costumes I went upstairs and dived in.  Oh my God, talk about taking your breath away.  It was so cold I lasted for about 2 minutes and I had to get out.  At least I can say I went for a swim in Turkey.

We all went for a walk up town and Peter went to a Haman for a massage.  I opted out and went with Len for a walk.  I took my famous knife with us, the one that was responsible for causing the ship to be delayed out of Italy a couple of weeks ago.  I went into a butcher's shop and got the guy to sharpen the knife.  A great job and that should cut the tomatoes up nicely now. 

Tomorrow we have a rest day and will do some sightseeing.
 The photo above is the elderly butcher's father sharpening my knife.
 The photo above is the route we have covered thus far.  Pretty impressive.
The photo above is of a dual electric scooter.  I know someone who would love one of these.
 The photo above is of the butcher with my knife.  The blade is still inside the knife.
The photo above is of the service station attendant at morning tea time.  We are amazed at how beautiful the Turkish people are to us.  Even after dinner tonight we were walking next door to our hotel and as we said hello to the group of women they offered us a sweet called 'Turkish delight'.

Well, we had another fantastic day and met more beautiful people. To say I've been enriched on this journey is an understatement.  I learnt a lot from the people I've met, and the people I've travelled with.

Until tomorrow, safe riding.

No comments:

Post a Comment