The Garmin 1000 is the leading edge.

The Garmin 1000 is the leading edge.

Saturday, April 2, 2011

School Camp Ground to Kasungu, Malawi. 240kms

1st April 2011. 125kms, Mzuzu to School Ground.

The last 2 days have been pretty good, yesterday was a 125km mando day which was the 2nd hardest mountain climbing stage of this years tour.  We left mzuzu at around 6.15am and no sooner had we got a little way out of town and peter got a flat.  After stuffing around we finally got on the way as the last riders on the road.  Reminds me of how I use to finish my racers each weekend.  At least I didn't sit on like the rest of my mates I use to compete against.  Namely Frank.



pedalling the roads of Malawi, waiting for the heavens to open up on me.
We kept on pedalling on to we came across some significant points that I'd remembered from the 2004 tour with Josh.  With some spectacular scenery today it was not as hard as I thought the day would turn out.  There were some big mountains to climb but I took everyone nice and easy just tapping away until we reached the top.

We arrived at lunch really hungry and in need of a good break.  We got a good lunch into us and hit the road again.  We came across the raiply guesthouse for old time sakes and continued on. 

One thing that amazed me on this stretch of the tour was the deforestation that was taking place.  We saw forst after forest being mowed down with gusto and nothing put back in it's place.  They were chopping down the most spectacular green forest region I'd ever seen on this planet.  You could see for miles and miles the damage that had and was being done in this beautiful region of Malawi.



This is one of my favourite photos taken at the finish line in the desert of Sudan.
 The time seemed to roll on and on and the moutains were not making it any easier.  We had to continue because the weather was changing and we needed to get to camp and try and dry out our homes and our smelly damp cycling gear.

We arrived at camp at 2.30pm.  I had plenty of time to fix my damaged shoe, put a new tube in my pouch as the one I was carrying had a hole.  That's really strange as I've never had a puncture on this trip yet.  It was bit of a rush this afternoon dealing with clothes and bike gear and then have dinner and go to a smelly damp tent for the night.  Tomorrow is a short 110km ride to the town of Kasungu.


one of my fine supporters. 


 2nd April 2011. School Camp to Kasungu.  110kms

kids on the side of the road calling out for money happens all day.

2nd April 2011. 110kms School Camp to Kasungu.

Today was a magic day with strong tailwinds pushing along to the lunch break of 60kms at 9am.  We stopped for the usual photo shoot which will be published when I remember to take my camera with me to the internet shop.  We arrived at Kasungu at 11am which was really nice time for the day.  This gave us a good chance to put up the filthy tent, dry out smelly clothes and go and get some food into us.

Tomorrow we head to Lilongwe where we'll get a well earned 2 day rest. Luke has booked a room for 3 nights at the Riverside Lodge and we're going to play a game of golf on the first rest day.  I'm sure I'll give them a really run for their money when we hit the greens.  Can't do a lengthy blog because this internet can drop out at any moment.  Good bye for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment