The Garmin 1000 is the leading edge.

The Garmin 1000 is the leading edge.

Sunday, April 24, 2011

Namibia next stop.

23rd April 2011.  Maun to Bush Camp. 160kms.

It’s back on the road again for the 820km stretch to Windhoek, Namibia in 5 days of cycling.
Today started with a nice breakfast at the restaurant in the Sedia Hotel Manu where we were staying during the rest day.

Our group got on the road at 7.15am with Tory, Scott, Luke, for the long day ahead.  We quickly got up to speed with Tory and I sitting on the front for the first 15kms at about 35-37kph.  My legs were still a little sore from all the riding but you just have to take it as it comes.

The road was dead flat with a couple of horses, cows, dogs and goats accompanying us along the way.  Both sides of the road consisted of Acacia trees and large forests that gave the elephants good protection and made it harder for us to see.  

We roared into the 82kms lunch stop in a time of 2hrs 20mins of riding.  After about a 5 minute break we were back on the bike and up to full speed for the short ride the petrol station which was our coke stop for the day.  This stop was at 105kms.  The day was just flying past today, assisted with a nice tailwind at times.  I still reckon that each time I hit the front the wind started to come from directly in front of me.  It was pretty hard at times holding the 37kph set by the bunch.

At the coke stop Luke was sick and chucked up.  He didn’t look his usual colour and nor was he riding at full strength.  It wasn’t until about 20kms to go that look and I decided we had had enough and just sat on the back for the final push to camp.  My legs are so sore in the hamstrings, and when I walk down the steps of the truck they really do hurt.

So we’re now in camp on the side of the road, chilling out and taking it easy.  We arrived in camp at 12 midday and will have a couple cups of soup with a cup of tea and relax to 5.30pm. Tomorrow I’ve been told is the team time trial race.  Nick the race director just told me that the teams must be organised by Nationality.  I was going to stack my team with Scott, Luke, Horst and Tory, but now I have to change plans.  That won’t be a problem.  I’m sure I can cheat somehow.

On the issue of lockers, I put my tent away wet 2 days ago that meant that everything below my tent is damp and needs to be dried out.  I now have my clothes hanging over trees whilst the sunning is shining bright.  I still having a great time and really enjoy all the riding.  You have to be prepared mentally and physically for this type of journey.  You don’t really get the chance to sit and speak with the locals everyday of the week, which is a shame, but my mindset for this whole holiday was to ride a bike from Cairo to Cape town and anything else done on the way was just a bonus.  

I’ve seen a lot of Africa over the years so this is a different holiday for me.  Putting the tent up or down in pouring rain is a complete pain in the ass, but sleeping in it on a beautiful African night is just heaven. Now time to lay in my tent and have a short nap.  So it’s goodbye from day 1 of 5 to Windhoek.

24th April 2011. Bush camp to Ghanzi, Botswana. 140kms.
Team Time Trial 40kms.

Today is the day I get out my Rambor clothing (major sponsor) for my aussie team to wear.  Our team consists of 4.  Myself, Luke, Peter and Rodney.  All Australians. 

We rolled out of camp for a 20km warm up to where the time trial is to start.  We had to go through the police road block first and dip our shoes and bikes in the water to ensure we don’t spread any germs in the area.

We started off at a nice pace of around 30kph.  Luke and I could have gone a lot faster and so could Peter, but we had to make sure Rodney finished with us.  The time trial was 40kms and we covered the distance in about 1hr 15min.  I thought it was a great time considering the average age of the team was 56 years of age.  We never went into the race with grand visions of winning the race, it was all about wearing some really cool jerseys and having fun.

Riding with these guys is what the tour is all about, and sharing experiences along the way.  I gave each of the guys a jersey and I’m sure they’ll keep wearing them on the way to Cape town.  We rolled into the lunch stop at 70km mark and just chilled out with all the cyclists talking times on who rode the fastest and of course who rode the slowest.  Luke did tell me when we got to camp we were the slowest, or more accurately, we camp dead last.  We might have come last but we made the biggest impression with the clothing.

The rest of the afternoon was a strong pace to the town of Ghanzi and to stop at SPAR for a nice cold drink and a muffin.  We arrived at the Kwaha Lodge to camp but decided to pick a room with Luke to relax better before the longest stage of the tour tomorrow, 207kms.  I haven’t ridden that far since I was about 25 years of age.

So enough for one day, it’s time to have an afternoon snooze, try and test out the lodge’s wifi, eat dinner, sleep and do it all again tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment