The Garmin 1000 is the leading edge.

The Garmin 1000 is the leading edge.

Monday, April 1, 2013

Thailand to Laos over the friendship bridge.

 Today was the day we left Thailand and crossed over the friendship bridge to Laos.  We rode out of the Grand Paradise Hotel Nong Khai around 8am.  The ride through the morning traffic to the Immigration post had it's moments as people in cities don't seem to mind in cutting you off and pulling right in front of you and stopping.  That really bugs me.

When we got to Thai immigration there were people everywhere, but it was a quick process is getting an exit stamp in the passport.  We got on our bikes and headed for the friendship bridge and rode over it.  We thought we'd be stopped, but there was no one telling us we couldn't ride our bikes so we kept on going.

We rolled down into Lao immigration and then had to get in line for the 30 dollar visa application.  Once obtained it was back on the bike for the ride into Vientiane the capital of Laos.  In total we rode 37kms.  The maximum temperature was 113 degrees with an average of 96 for the ride.  I think we're getting use to this heat.

On a side note.  I must remember that in Laos you ride on the wrong side of the road.  That is the right hand side like the Americans.  The problem I had today was when we stopped at a small ATM I had to cross the road.  I looked to my right instead of looking to my left.  Damn close shall I say.  I won't forget to look to my left in a hurry.

Once again we made it to the Vayakorn Guesthouse thanks to Len's Garmin computer.  Without that device we'd still be riding around the city.

After settling into the guesthouse we had a walk around visiting once again, Wats.  We look at so many Wats over here, but each one seems to have it's own uniqueness that draws you in.  The photos below are of the Wats in central Vientiane. There's still 2 I want to see tomorrow to add to my collection.


 This is an interesting photo.  Notice the people sleeping.  It's really difficult to explain just how big these doors are.  The painting on the Wat were quite spectacular.  The photo below depicts more of the intricate painting on the roof of the same Wat above.
 The photo above is the ceiling of the Wat with the people sleeping outside.  The painting is hand done.  It's amazing work by skilled craftsmen, many many years ago.  Nothing in the painting is out of place.
 I'm not sure what this monk had done to deserve being in this locked cage.
 I went inside one of the Wats and found this Budha statue. 
I always find the ceremonial drum appealing.  I looked really hard to find the stick to hit it with, but couldn't.  I've always wanted to give one of these a good belting to get there attention. 

So today was a nice ride, we found OK accommodation, had a nice meal and going to chill out and have a better look at the city tomorrow.

Until tomorrow, safe riding.

No comments:

Post a Comment