The Garmin 1000 is the leading edge.

The Garmin 1000 is the leading edge.

Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Siem Reap to Phnom Penh by bus.

Why is it that my days always have problems?

Today I caught the bus from Siem Reap heading to the capital, Phnom Penh, some 300kms away.  I spoke to the Aussie's I met in Vang Vieng at dinner last night and they said the trip should take about 4 hours.  Well I tried to get on the Mekong Express Bus, but they were full and I had to take 2nd best. 

The Paramount Angkor Express shuttle picked me up from the hotel at 7.30am.  The shuttle bus was full of people and bags so much I couldn't see out the front window.  I was hoping that this was not going to be the bus that takes me all the way to the capitol.

The bus continued picking up more people until we arrived at the main bus terminal at 8.30am.  We then got onto a coach which I thought would be a blessing.  The bus left at 9am on the dot, only 30 minutes late.  Now I'm not a whinger, but to travel 300kms in 7 & 1/2 hours with no air con, a broken seat, and stopping and starting to pick up anyone who wanted a lift, was bullshit. 

We eventually rolled into the capital at 4.30pm.  I quickly got a motorcycle taxi and went straight to the Lone Star Saloon and guesthouse.  This is the place I will be staying at for the next 3 nights while I'm doing the tourist thing.

I'm going to see the killing fields and 21 tomorrow.

I've got no photos of today's trip, only baron roads, shanty villages and motorbikes by the thousands.

Until tomorrow, safe riding.

1 comment:

  1. Uh, what did I tell you that night? Uh huh...and you had the VIP minibus..but, it can't be any worse coming back!

    ReplyDelete