The Garmin 1000 is the leading edge.

The Garmin 1000 is the leading edge.

Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Last day on the bike. Sisophon to Siem Reap.

Well what a day.  I started with the same stomach bug as yesterday morning.  The difference with today was that we had to go twice as far.  During the night I had to go to the toilet about 5 times.  What I ate for dinner which was shit, was now gone from my body.  For breakfast at 5.30am I had a mango and a large biscuit.  I know that's not enough but what can you do when everything was shut due to Cambodian holidays.

We rolled out of the Hotel at 6.10am hoping to find a noodle house along the way.  We rode and rode and rode till about 8.30am and found a nice place.  Now my stomach was still very ordinary, but I had to eat or I wouldn't finish what I started today.  I said to Len earlier on in the ride. 'I want to ride into the town I rode out of last month'.  Sometimes as we get older, our decisions are slightly wrong. Riding today was one of them.  Len suggested I catch the bus, but I wouldn't have anything to do with it.

Our late breakfast was noodles and spicy chicken.  Now that has to get the stomach going for sure.  I was sweating so bad my cycle gloves were drenched.  Back on the bike and I tried to keep up with Len at around 25kph.  After 30 minutes of riding I felt weak in my arms and legs and it was time to get off the bike.  I thought I was going to be sick so I rolled on down the embankment and laid under a tree sweating profusely.  I think the stomach bug had taken hold of me well and truly.  Even if I wanted to get up I couldn't.  I was gone.

I laid under the tree in the dirt for about 20 minutes.  An elderly lady came up to me and pointed in the direction of her house, and for me to come on over for a rest.  This is the type of hospitality the Cambodian people are famous for.

I dragged my arse off the ground and led my bike over to the house to be greeted by her son, and his wife and their 6 children.  This was like Sudan revisited.  I sat with the family pouring water over my head and drinking their water.  I left my bike out the front so Len could see it when he came back looking for me.
I was more concerned that he didn't know where I was.

Whilst sitting with the family, all I could think of is finishing this ride on the bike and not in a bus.  To do this I had to take more stops and drink more coke and iced cold water.

This is the amazing family who took me in and gave me water and shelter for 1/2 an hour.  The young girl on the left of the photo could speak some English and offered some food to me.  I had to decline the generous offer as if I had fried rice again, I would die.

So, back on the bike for another 30 minutes in the stinking heat and head wind. The next stop was more controlled bike stop. Again I sat with another family while they got me drinks and cold water and a towel to put over my grey head.  They must have thought I was a complete idiot riding in this heat.
 Whilst I was having another coke and more water, I got to see a 2 week old baby having a bath.  The baby never screamed at all. It was nice to sit down and just relax and meet some incredibly friendly people.

It was time get back on the bike and do some more riding.  I still hadn't located Len and was concerned he was looking for me.  After more and more stops I arrived back in Siem Reap to where it all started last month. 

Today's ride was 103kms and this was with a maximum temperature of 49 degrees C, average temperature 36 C. I won't be doing anymore riding on this holiday and will be heading down to Phnom Penh tomorrow morning.

After getting settled into my room, I went straight down to the pool and relaxed.  So refreshing after the punishment I received today.  I'm really looking forward to the 3 day tour of the capital and seeing the killing fields and other historical areas that this country is famous for.

It's time to go and see my mate and have some dinner.

Until tomorrow, safe riding.


No comments:

Post a Comment