The Garmin 1000 is the leading edge.

The Garmin 1000 is the leading edge.

Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Summer on the Black Sea.

 Last night we went down town for dinner at one of the many restaurants on the shores of the Black Sea.  The photo is of Peter enjoying what most Australians love doing, drinking beer.  He certainly doesn't look like this after a 10km climb.  Oh well, you have to enjoy these luxuries when you get the chance. 

It was an early night last night as we wanted to get on the road by 8.30am. 

We left the town of Sarafovo, just outside Burgas for the ride north.  We rolled along at a good speed for about 30kms and then the fun began. Firstly we had to contend with single lane roads and being passed by trucks, buses, trackers, horse drawn carts and cars all morning.  Some were idiots and came pretty close, others were very reasonable.  Then we hit the climb for the day.  It was 10kms straight up.  

My bike has developed a clicking noise which is driving me nuts, so the impending rest day in  Varna in 2 days will sort the problem out.  So up we went, higher and higher.  As we rounded one corner, another rise appeared before us.  We took stops every 2kms of climbing for a drink and for us to regroup.  It was much safer to ride together instead of being spread out all over the mountain.

At one stage I pulled over to check on the noise coming from the bike.  I saw this young girl standing on this small by pass road, wiggling his ass to attract customers.  Honestly, she looked no older than 16.  She asked Peter and I if we wanted a service, but instead I asked her is she could hold my bike upright whilst I put some oil on the cranks.  I was hoping the oil might decrease the noise.  No good, didn't work.

By the time Maurice and Mary pulled up we decided to take a longer stop and eat something.  We had some leftover pizza from last night so we devoured a couple of pieces and I gave the young girl (prostitute) the remaining pieces.  She ate that pizza like she hadn't had a good feed in ages.  I did feel sorry for the young girl trying to earn a dollar like this.  She was a real target for the sicko in the out of the way area.  That's life.

Back on the bike to compete the climb.  After 2 hours of climbing we reached the summit.  We rounded the top and there before us was a little coke stop and restaurant.  It was time for a drink and some food.  Where ever you eat in Bulgaria it costs peanuts.  Everything is so cheap.

The ride from the summit down to the Black Sea was fast and furious.  We rolled into the town of Obzor which is right on the shores of the Black Sea.  We found a nice play to stay for about 10 dollars each.  It's not worth putting up the tent when you get a really nice room with views of the Sea from you very own balcony.

I went for a walk after a nice shower to do the mandatory stuff, put my feet in the Black Sea.  I've done the Nile, Red Sea, Adriatic Sea and the mighty Pacific Ocean which was born from the shores of Wollongong.  The water was nice and cool and the scenery wasn't bad at all.

Tomorrow we have about 60kms to reach Varna our first rest day on tour.  I have some business to attend to and fix the bike.  Do some shopping, eating, swimming and maybe some sleeping.
 The photo is of one of our many stops whilst climbing the 8% gradient outside of Sarafovo.
 Summer on the shores of the Black Sea, Obzor.
 Another shot of the same beach.  The beach was absolutely crowded at 5pm in the afternoon.  I suppose there no real rush to get home considering the sun doesn't set till about 9.15pm.
 Now this photo is of the Palace we're staying at.  You might be able to see the washed riding gear hanging over the balcony.  I hate washing clothes, it's not my job.
If you're an English person like myself, I find it very difficult to choose what I would like for dinner from the board outside the restaurant.  With no photos on the menu makes it very hard to make a choice. 

So it's time to eat, and an early night.

Until tomorrow, safe riding.

No comments:

Post a Comment