The Garmin 1000 is the leading edge.

The Garmin 1000 is the leading edge.

Sunday, July 21, 2013

I know Scott Chipperfield too.

I'll comment on the title of my post at the end of the update.

Last night was our last dinner together with Maurice and Mary from Brisbane.  They were heading north to Budapest and Peter and I were heading west to the Croatian border.  Our first stop will be Baja some 115kms away.

We said our fond farewells to Maurice and Mary and started our ride at 7am.  Today was the first day on tour where we had favorable tailwinds.  Instead of travelling the main highway straight to Baja, I planned an alternate route through the towns of Domasczek, Kelebija, Bacsalmas, bacsbokod and onto Baja. 

It was Peter's job to get us out of the city today as Maurice was no longer the caption.  Peter did a great job in not getting us lost and took us straight onto the highway and out of town.  For the first part of the ride we took the cycleway which lasted for about 30kms.  The path was fantastic.  When we reached the town of Assothalom it was time to take the back roads and experience Hungarian life at its best.  We got through our first town just in time for morning tea.  It's a god given right that us Aussies take morning tea wherever we are on the planet.  And of course, it was Peter's job to prepare the billy. 
 The photo above is Peter preparing the billy for our morning tea which consisted tea naturally and some dry biscuits.  And we did all of this on a pathway in the local park.
The photo above was taken whilst having morning tea.  This guy although friendly stunk of cigars and something else I'm not really sure of.  He wouldn't leave us alone and watched us having our morning tea.
 The photo above is of Peter riding through some of the remote Hungarian roads.  There was no traffic for hours on these narrow roads.  It was just perfect riding with over hanging trees protecting us once again from the heat of the day.
That's me in the above photo riding through a fantastic countryside without the hassle of cars bearing down on me.
The above photo is of Peter preparing my dinner at the campsite.  I told him I don't cook. In all sincerity he made a fantastic dinner and I would rate it as 7.5/10.  He thought it was worth more and I told him I took into consideration the weather, the cooking facilities and that he should be happy with the score he got.  I hope he strives to improve on his cooking.

As we rode through one town approaching midday I asked this young chap for directions.  I found out that he and his father owned the pub that we were now sitting at.  They offered us a can of coke for free and we stayed on for 1/2 and hour chatting.  It never ceases to amaze me the hospitality of the people we've must thus far.  We offered to pay for the coke but they would have nothing to do with it. 

We pressed on to a little children's park and had our lunch in a shelter large enough for both Peter and I sit down.  We had our tuna, tomato rolls, washed down with water and we were now feeling full.
 As we continued on after lunch I though I should take a photo (see above) of the many religious crosses throughout Hungary.  I'm confident they are put in a strategic place to give the farmers some religious intervention for a healthy crop each year.  The monument was a statue of Jesus.

As we got about 20ksm from Baja, we came across a John Deere harvesting machine bearing down on us from the rear.  We pulled over and allowed the machine past and then pushed as hard as we could to catch it and sit on.  Now some people know I'm one of the greatest sit on people in the world.  I never did much whilst racing, but I have of late.  Peter and I sat off the back of the machine for about 5kms with husk and wheat blowing all over us.  The things I put up with to go touring.
 We rolled into the campsite which is situated on the Danube River and pitched our homes.  The photo above is of a family who turned up with all the children on board.  It's amazing how this family travel around Europe on this extended machine and dragging a baby's cart behind. 

Now in the photo above, you can see a lady to the right of Peter.  The lady told us she came from Basel.  I thought that's interesting.  I asked her if she knew my friend, 'Scott Chipperfield'.  She said she knew Chippers and that he was one of the greatest soccer players to play for Basel.  I told her that I was his mate from Australia.  I think I impressed her.
The above photo was taken from my tent looking out into the Danube River, Hungary.  No way was I going to swim in that river.

We had a great day on the bike today and rode through some truly spectacular country roads of Hungary.  Tomorrow we'll head further west as we make our way to Zagreb our next rest stop.  Everything is going great, we're both healthy and having the time of our lives.

On another more important note, I wish Dennis from eXsight Tandems who's currently in Wollongong Hospital all the very best in his recovery.  I expect you to be joining us on our return at Ruby's at the end of October, your shout of course.

Until tomorrow, safe riding.

No comments:

Post a Comment