The Garmin 1000 is the leading edge.

The Garmin 1000 is the leading edge.

Tuesday, March 15, 2011

The road to Tanzania. Full update..


14TH March 2011. 160kms. Nairobi to Tanzanian border. Namango

After having a fantastic pizza and then going over to the cafe for a huge cappuccino and a slab of black forest cake, it was time to go back to the camp and back my locker again.  I have so much shit that I haven’t used on this holiday, you’d think I’d know better after so much traveling in the past.  Obviously I haven’t learnt a thing.

It also poured down last night and the tent stood up to the storm. Because we had a long day on the bike, breakfast was served at 6am.  That meant I had to drag my ass out of the tent at 5.30am.  I know I said I’m getting use to 5.45am, but 5.30am, that’s stupid for a old man from the land down under.

Peter Lamond and I headed out at 7am for the 20km ride from the campsite in Karen to the outskirts of Nairobi.  Basically the traffic was mad and on many occasions we had to get off the road in fear of being run over by the many trucks and buses that were taking this route.  We rode through a couple of interesting towns which I really love doing, with all the donkey carts, kids going to school and calling out to us, not throwing rocks at us like the Ethiopian kids did on a daily basis, and turned off to hit the back roads for the nest 30kms to meet up with the main highway that leads to Namango the border crossing into Tanzania.

The back road was light on traffic and light on road repairs.  This was another one of those roads littered with potholes so big you could lose yourself in.  We pedalled along at a good pace through some beautiful countryside with some of the most green landscape and amazing Acacia trees all the way to the lunch stop at 72kms.

The lunch today was excellent, turkey meat, with cheese, tomato, bread slices, bananas and some power drinks.  After 2 huge sandwiches Peter, Rodney and myself were back on the bike for the final 80kms.  The road was really nice fast pavement all the way to the end of the day.  With rolling hills, Rodney eventfully fell off the pace and had to ride the final 30kms on his own.  It’s really difficult to ride the pace of some because when hills are involved, some people are not as fast as others, and you can’t wait when you have 160kms to do in the day.

We didn’t stop for any coke stops or coffee as we needed to get into camp, pitch the tent and dry out some of our stuff that happened to get wet from the downpour last night.  Today was a terrific day, and I’m looking forward to leaving Kenya and entering another country on this amazing journey through Africa.

To my family, 60 more cycling days to go before Cape Town.  To my sponsors;
SOTO GROUP.
RAMBOR
SPEARMANS CYCLES
COTTONWOOD LODGE
And all the people that have donated to eXsight Tandems and attended my fundraising night, I am eternally indebted to you for kind support.  

PS:  I think I’ll be going to see David of Spearman’s Cycles when I get back to get a new bike.
Please support the companies of the Illawarra that support this cause. 
Tanzania here I come.

15th March 2011. Namango to Arusha Tanzania.  118kms.

The circus moves onto another country.  Number 5 is now upon us, Tanzania.  With the ungodly breakfast time of 6am I’m awake, packed up Tent Hilton and waiting to devour bread, honey and peanut butter, washed down with a bowl of porridge and a cup of tea.  I’m ready for a fantastic ride.
The border crossing is 3km away from camp so a lot of cyclists took off early to try and beat the rush of the other 80 cyclists and staff to follow.  I didn’t give a shit, I’d crossed this border with Josh in 2004 and I knew that it would be a wait.

The first part of the day was on gravel until the border.  Like usual there were money changes trying to give you the bargain of the century with the rate in one hand while they were ready to shaft you with the other.  I left it for the money exchange booth at the border.  I don’t know who’s the bigger thief the official or the unofficial exchanges. We waited a while for the passports to be handed back and then we were on our way.  By the time I’d changed my money and made a quick call to Matthew back home I was on my way and at the end of the peloton.  I was dead last leaving Kenya.  At least I knew no one was going to overtake me today.

So it was time to power on and catch up with some of my mates who were a long way ahead of me.  I caught up with Peter Lamond and his wife Viv (lovely lady) and rode with them for about ½ an hour.  I can tell you, Viv is one fast rider.  Very impressed, she can even kick Peter’s ass without a problem.

The landscape was so spectacular and I know I often say this even though I’ve seen it all before.  To ride with acacia trees, small villages, and beautiful young children waving with the most gorgeous smiles, green fields, men and women wearing their traditional Masai clothing, I was in heaven today.
I arrived at the 70km lunch stop at 10.30am, so that wasn’t too bad doing the 70kms in 2 & ½ hours on the steel monster.  Took some great photos of mountains with me in them of course at the lunch stop before heading off for the final push to Arusha.

The first part was uphill for 10kms then the rest was easy to the hustle & bustle of a city I know rather well.  As I was heading down one hill I did something really stupid, I drafted a small jeep to get some good speed.  As he moved over to the centre of the road, I thought he was moving for some rocks, so I immediately slowed as best as I could.  There can be nothing scarier than seeing a dead dog appear from out the middle of the back of the jeep as it goes over the dog.  I had very little time to miss the dog, so I had to jump the front wheel over the dog and the bag wheel just crashed into it.  I thought I was going down like a bag of shit.  I kept the bike up and ended up with a buckle in my new rear wheel.  The buckle isn’t that bad considering how fast I was travelling when I hit the dog.
So, did I learn a lesson, NO WAY, I need to know how to jump my bike and I’d have no problem.  

Reminder: Must see Luke Dale for handling skills when I get home.

Still roaring downhill I hit the gravel section for the final 10km s into town.  The traffic was again mad as hell and many times you just have to watch the cars in front rather than the ones coming from behind.  I rolled into camp after completing the 118kms at 1pm.  Had a quick shower and put up the tent for Peter and Viv, got my gear together and headed off to the Karama lodge and spa in Arusha.  Check it out on the net, lovely place to relax and do nothing other than recuperate after thrashing my body over 5,500kms in 2 months.  
I didn't get a chance last week to post.  First stood under this sign in 1994.
getting ready to leave Nairobi and head to the Tanzanian border, with a fantastic guy called Peter Lamond.  
Ready to enter my 5th country and over 5500kms
Lunch stop amongst some spectacular scenery. Tanzania
My room at Karama lodge & Spa Arusha Tanzania.  Absolutely beautiful.

The lodge is fantastic and I’m staying here with some really nice people from the tour.  When we got to the lodge we immediately went to the restaurant and ate ourselves silly.  They must be amazed at the huge appetite us cyclists have.  I have a huge bed, balcony, no TV, just the perfect place to chill. 
It’s so nice to get to Arusha to have 3 days off the bike.  Many cyclists are going on camping tours to the Ngorongoro Crater and Serengeti National Park for 2 and 3 days.  As I’ve done the tours before I didn’t want to do it again.  Tomorrow I’m going to go down town do some shopping, buy a sim card, maybe the net, and have coffee and cake.  So until tomorrow, I’m sleeping in, that means no Rodney waking me up at 5.20am, thank God.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Terry, Hows it going at the moment?Did you get your Passport stamped when you crossed the border.
    You must have a sore arse by now all that sitting on and asking others to lead in the headwind.
    Your doing a great job mate.
    take care
    Danny

    ReplyDelete