The Garmin 1000 is the leading edge.

The Garmin 1000 is the leading edge.

Thursday, March 10, 2011

Full update of terror in Northern Kenya to come.

8th March 2011. 115kms.  Marsabit to Bush Camp. More bad roads.

Not to bore you with details, we got on the road at 6.30am happy that this would be our final day on the bad roads of northern Kenya  and probably won’t hit the dirt again to after Arusha in Tanzania.
The first part of the day was bullshit bad road.  We had to climb a couple of long hills in the granny gear dodging boulders and trying to keep the front wheel pointed up hill. The scenery was quite spectacular for the first part of the day.  With huge rocky mountains growing out of the ground and just standing there on their own was amazing.  The greenness of the acacia tree and the ochre colour of the road and surrounding fields made the morning ride a real joy.  Although the road was pretty tough, the first part was a gentle descend into the valley floor.  We stopped at the 46km mark for a nice coke and some biscuits.  I was the first to arrive at the hotel and soon we had about 15 cyclists joining us.  These little towns must revel in the money they make the day the circus comes to town.
Like usual as we approached the town the kids would run beside us asking us, ‘how are you’,  everyone one of them would ask you that same question.  

As we continued on the rocky peaks that grew and grew was so spectacular to see and if I had a better camera I could show you.  I’m using a Nikon coolpix which is good for close ups but rubbish for landscape.  

The lunch stop was at 65kms and I was glad to see it.  The majority of the day I had been riding by myself.  On bad roads you can’t ride anyone’s pace other than your own.  Some people ride gravel and sand better than others.  I’d like to think I do a fair job of riding in the dirt.  Still I just cruise along each day, not busting my gut to get to camp and sit around and do jack shit like so many of the other cyclists do.  I prefer to stop at every village and meet the locals and take plenty of photos to show the family back home.

After lunch I had to ride 30kms to the refresh stop.  Since the road was atrocious  and it was so hot with the sun belting off the sand on the road, we were going through litres of water every hour.  The corrugations were getting worse and at times I was riding at 5kph.  I would have been better walking.  Some of the guys did get the chance to see an elephant in the distance today. I got to see little shits yelling and screaming at me asking for money or my name.  My names Brian now go away and leave me along.

At the refresh stop I met up with a couple of cyclists for nice drink, a pack of peanuts and some more drink.  Filled up the bottles and we were on our way again to a coke stop about 3kms up the road.  It was so nice to sit down and have a cold coke with a chocolate bar and some biscuits to take back to the camp to enjoy over a nice cup of tea in the afternoon.
Whilst we were at the coke stop some of the local women brought over their necklaces and head beads to sell.  Some of them looked nice but I know that no one from my family would ever wear that gear.  I did make an offer for a bracelet, but the old women would not budge.  Stubborn like me the old cow. So no sale today.
I finally left Peter behind who wasn’t feeling that well and headed for my final destination of the day, bush camp. It was a welcome sight to see the flag in the distance and what was more impressive is the sight of tar road just behind it.  This means we have finished the hardest section of the tour more commonly known as ‘meltdown madness’, due to the heat and the worst roads on earth. I pulled into camp after riding the final 20kms in 1 & ½ hours at 3pm.  I had started at 6.30am and had spent far too long out in the Kenyan heat.  I’ll need to eat and drink plenty to recover for the long 158kms tomorrow.
The schedule for the next couple of days.
The grey sandy rocky roads of northern kenya
Taking a well earned rest on the way to Marsabit.
Heading off into the morning sun along the terrible roads of Kenya.
Coke stop and well needed in the heat of the day.

Peter came in about 10 minutes after me and just laid down on the ground stuffed.  I don’t think he’s feeling that good right at the moment.  I built my home changed my tires back to road for tomorrow and got ready for dinner.  Before that I devoured 4 cups of soup, 2 cups of tea and about 10 biscuits.
Time to hit the sack and do it all again.

No comments:

Post a Comment