The Garmin 1000 is the leading edge.

The Garmin 1000 is the leading edge.

Sunday, September 14, 2014

Andahuaylas to Bush camp Huancarama to Abancay. 2 day update.

Andahuaylas to Bush camp Huancarama. 92 kms, summit 3420 metres, climbing 2280 metres. 2nd hardest stage on tour.

To start the day backwards I wanted to tell you that I'm typing my blog sitting in my tent at 3420 metres above sea level, eating my dinner because it's raining and windy and it's frigging freezing. As I cast my eyes around then surrounding mountains I can see snow covered peaks with majestic browns and greens as the sun sets on our campsite high up in the Andes.

Today started from the our rest day destination of andahuaylas. The group rolled out of town around 8.30 am and started to climb 10 kms on paved road and then we had to turn to hit the dirt. The climb continued for another 5 kms on very rough and uneven ground. At stages I was in my lowest gear just barely making forward progress due to the steepness of the mountain. As we got higher and higher we left the valley floor and started to see the peak of mountains all around us. I know I've said it a hundred times but to see it up close it's just so surreal. It's like watching the discovery channel everyday. How cool is that?

Once we crested the first summit we had the chance to roll down the other side for a short while and then came across a huge lake. We rode around the shore of the lake and we could see what appeared to be fish farms out in the middle. The lake was surrounded by small homes and people sitting out the front calling out to the silly cyclists who paid a fortune to belt themselves around on these terrible roads. I must say that the people we pass each day are so friendly and always say hello to us. The beautiful smiles of the children and the elderly making a slight wave as we pass diminishes the pain we are feeling for a short time and makes it all worthwhile. 
The photo above was taken during our lunch stop on top of the world.
It's quite amazing how many Christ the Redeemer statues in remote areas of South America. We came across this statue on our long descent into a town I have no idea what the name is.
This was the view as we descended into the valley. We get to see the 1 lane dirt tracks all the way. A very nice sight knowing you're going down and not climbing for a while at least.

Once at the end of the lake we took a sharp left hand turn and commenced climb 2 for the day. This climb was on steep rutted dirt road over 400 metres. The first climb for the day was 1200 metres. When we reached the summit we could see a small village down below. The view across the mountains were nice but for one thing, we knew that flying down into the small village meant that we had to climb out the other side to reach the fire engine for lunch. We roared down the dirt road bouncing all over the place making sure not to go over the side and kill ourselves. It took us about 30 minutes to reach the village, go over the bridge and start climbing No. 3.

When you're climbing dirt roads you have to pick the smoothest line and just keep pedalling. Sometimes you have to change course and go from one side of the road to the other to avoid the ruts and boulders that lay on the road. Barry and I took our time climbing No.3 not to burn ourselves out because we still had a long way to go before we reach bush camp. Climb No. 3 was over 800 metres of back breaking work. It took us around bends to see more road up in the distance. We finally made it to lunch at 1 pm. A very long and hard ride for only 53 kms. We still had another 40 to end the day.

We sat at one of the most amazing lunch stops I've ever had in my life. It was beautiful and sunny patch right on the side of the mountain. We sat their contemplating our lives and the lives of our loved ones back home. It's these moments that you treasure what you have and never want to lose any of it. At 1.30 pm we started to long ride to bush camp.

Now for climb No.4. As soon as we left lunch we climbed another 600 metres. I found this section the steepest of the whole day. We had really sharp hairpin turns to negotiate time after time and it starting to drain me of what little energy I had left. We rode through villages greeted by the locals and their dogs but was so focused on the road to get to the top of this mountain. Eventually we crested the summit to find paved road. It was like God was looking down on me and looking after the tired old man and his mate Barry. It was time to let the bike fly into yet another valley.

When we finally got to the bottom of the valley we had to climb No.5 for the day. This one was at least on reasonably paved road for 18 kms. Now this mountain nearly cracked me. With about 4 kms to go I was gone. Barry was pulling away from me and I was too tired to care. I just rode my own pace and thankfully Barry had stopped further up the mountain. Every time we went around a bend I was hoping there was a clearing and the summit would be in reach. Each time I was greeted by another bend, another curve, another straight stretch of road that went to heaven. I wanted the day to end and I started to wander whether I had the energy to climb to the finish. I just rode with Barry and then I said, 'Bazz there's the flag', you beauty we had reached our final destination for the day. The tiredness had seemed to disappear and now it was time to build Tent Hilton and get my gear sorted out.

The tent went up in no time, followed by a face cloth bath, a change of clothing, a cup of coffee and back to the tent to relax.

Whilst sitting down waiting for dinner and the rain that followed I looked out over the snow covered peaks and thanked God for looking after me all this time on the tour. There will be a good chance that I will be leaving the tour around the 10 of December and catching a bus to Ushuaia as I need to be home by the 15th December. I will fill you in on the reasons once everything is confirmed.

Well the story for today is complete and we had an amazing day and suffered big time on the climbs. Not sure what tomorrow will bring but as long as it's good health, sun, no rain and no mountains to climb, I'll be happy. I think I'm kidding myself about the mountains.


Until tomorrow, safe riding.

Today's story.  Sunday 14th September 2014.

Bush camp Huancarama to Abancay. 54 kms, 100% paved, summit 3420 metres, 900 metres climbing. A better effort today.

Because everyone was so tired after yesterday's huge effort, breakfast was set for 7.30 am instead of the usual 7 am. It didn't matter to me because the rooster and dog decided to wake me up at 5.50 am. Not happy.

After breakfast it was a very fast descent of 35 kms. Barry and I just let it rip and was among the first to the bottom of the mountain. Barry stopped to take off his jacket and arm warmers and I rolled along.  I kept going along on my own and was met by Joost who had just rode away from James. I was feeling pretty good compared to the last 5 kms of yesterday so I thought I would just keep the pressure on.

The final climb today was only 10 kms with a good grade and the traffic was fine. I sat on the front all the way up into Abancay and never eased up. By the time we reached the Saywa Hotel in Abancay it was just after 10.30 am, not a bad end to the day. A nice early finish and a hotel to rest up in for the rest of the day.

This afternoon we get to eat cake because it's one of the boss's birthday, Wilbert. I'm going to go looking for another socket connection because it appears I left the other one behind. This is the 2nd time I've done this this holiday. It must be a sign of old age at 54. 

I didn't take any photos today because it was down the mountain, a short climb, and an afternoon to go for a walk.
I took the above photo from our room in the town of Huanuco the other day. I thought it turned out OK.

Tomorrow is another tough day with plenty of climbing on paved road thankfully. I hope I get a good night's sleep and be ready for more punishment.

Until tomorrow, safe riding.

No comments:

Post a Comment