The Garmin 1000 is the leading edge.

The Garmin 1000 is the leading edge.

Sunday, September 7, 2014

3 days in the Mantaro Valley Peru. Keeps getting better.

Stage 29, Huancayo to Bush camp. 103 kms, 1085 metres of climbing, summit 3900 metres. Still climbing with the big boys.

It was really hard to get out of the comfortable bed today. Lying in a double bed with the blankets pulled over my head it was heaven. We had to be down stairs for breakfast around 8am which meant we could sleep in and enjoy the comfort of the Hotel Turismo, Huancayo. Breakfast was pancakes, french toast, juice, coffee and tea, cereal, eggs and just about anything you wanted. It is a great place to stay.

We rolled out of town around 9.30 am and the traffic was mad again. We had to be careful of the taxis and mini vans who constantly want to cut you off. We made our way out of town and commenced the major climb of the day. The climb was a steady gradient which started at 3200 metres and kept going for about 20 kms. I was in a group with Barry, Jost, Patrick, Rien, Michelle, Buck and Jan William. We took it at a steady pace all the way up the mountain. As we got higher the weather was starting to change for the worse, it was raining. I had a short sleeve vest which wasn't enough and I forgot to put my winter gloves in my back pocket. I put it down to laziness and nothing else. By the time we reached the summit my hands and legs were freezing.

The scenery today were tall mountains following us all the way to the summit, and the dark clouds. As we reached the summit a couple of riders stopped to put more clothing on but all I could do was freeze. We took down the mountain for the long ride to the lunch truck at around 65 kms. The view from the top of the mountain down into the deep valley below was breathtaking. Mountain walls that went skyward, and fell down into the roaring river below which went all the way to the dam which we would see shortly. The colours of the rock walls, the landslides, the bloody dogs, all added to a beautiful mornings ride.

One of the things we had to be aware of was the road that slipped away into the river below. Sometimes ½ the road had been washed away and I don't think it will be fixed for a long time.

As we approached the dam wall, we couldn't find the lunch truck anywhere. It turned out the lunch truck took the wrong turn which can happen, but meant we had to keep riding and find a town down the mountain to stop and stock up on some food for the final 30 kms to the Bush camp. The bush camp is on the sporting field of the military barracks.

We stopped at this nice little village with all the kids coming around wanted to know what we were all about, I took some nice photos of the town and you can make out the train station in the distance. I had a look at the track and it doesn't look like much freight crossing this part of the country. By the time we had our drinks, fruit and chocolate bars we now had 2 more riders in our group, Kristin and Hilde.

We all rode together up a couple of small climbs and going further down into the gorge. The scenery was beautiful today and wasn't a hard day at all. I rode with some great people and we didn't bust ourselves trying to be first into camp. Those days are well and truly over.

As we reached the small village we could see some tents already set up in the sporting field. We took a sharp right and there was an officer standing to attention waiting to open the gate and let more crazy cyclists enter. It was still drizzling, so I quickly put my tent up and through all my gear inside. Took off my wet cycling gear and put on some dry clothes.

Bary, Buck and I went for a walk into the village to buy a drink and just get away from the campsite. I came across these 2 gorgeous children playing this game of stacking cups on top of each other. The first to get all cups and plates standing, then has to run and ring the bell. Being a big kid I challenged one the children, about 8 year of age, to a duel. There was no way I would ever allow a child to beat me at a game. So it began. We had 7 cups and saucers to stack high and straight. I set a cracking pace and was in the lead up until cup and saucer 1. I was overtaking by the little cheat and I lost. She rang like there was no tomorrow. She was proud as punch and I hated defeat. I walked away sulking, not before I got some more photos to remind me of the 8 year old girl who kicked my ass in a small village in the Andean mountains.

Back to the campsite, help with the food as I was on kitchen duty tonight and then I had to help wash and dry up everything. I hate getting my hands dirty. Dinner was really nice and so was desert. The day is now drawing to and end, we had a great ride, got a little wet, but that's temporary. I have a set of dry reading gear to put on tomorrow for the 80 kms of unpaved riding. Should be another fantastic day on the bike.
 The photo above is the llama I had to carry for 2 days. I decided to put it in my bag so I wouldn't lose it.
 That's diederik in the blue jacket. We were all taking a rest and taking in the spectacular scenery.
During one of our many stops a couple of school kids came over and of course we had to get a photo.
 One of the many small towns we passed through yesterday. When the sun goes down, so does the temperature.
During yesterday's ride we rode around cliffs that dropped down into the gorge below. We were in no rush and took every opportunity to take a break and enjoy the day.
As we rode on the old road because they were building a new bridge I noticed one guy lying down and having a nap. They have bludgers in this part of the world too.
I took the photo above of Barry showing young Nicolas his own photo. He was over the moon trying to find out how the hell was his photo in that phone.

I had to do my little speech about the llamas and why I didn't take her on the bike with me over the past 2 days, that went down real well with the women. Then I made up a story about Buck having climbs 4 of the 7 summits around the world. No one will know the truth.

OK, time for bed. It's now 7.30 pm and everyone is in their tent.

Until tomorrow, safe riding.

Stage 30, bush camp to bush camp Mayocc. 99% paved, 85 kms, 967 metres climbing, summit 2750 metres. Another beautiful day on the bike.

We packed up camp and headed out of the military barracks around 8.30am. We didn't know what to expect with the pavement or unpaved roads. 2 years ago a lot of this area was unpaved and in terrible condition, soon we would find out exactly the condition of the road.

To try and cut this day short is pretty easy, rolling down hills, clinging to the side of the mountains, watching for cars, vans, trucks coming around blind corners, rocks, dogs, sheep, cows, goats, and if you can manage to avoid all this and not going over the side, you make it lunch stop.

As we hit the 20 km mark we came across both our trucks on the side of the road with a 2 staff members holding a blue tarpaulin sheet up protecting someone laying down on the road. As we got closer we could see there had been a nasty crash and their was an injured person lying on the road. Because our Dr was attending to the injured, the lunch truck would be out of action today. I think it's better that the injured be treated as we could find food in a small village without any problems.

We rolled along and around spectacular cliffs with every changing colour patterns in the rock walls above. My good friend Ashley Lester would love to check out these rocks as he's just completed his Geology degree at the best university in the world, Wollongong.

We intended to stop at the 50 km mark at this little village and find something to eat. We found Rob, Barry and Max were already eating bananas rolls. Since the lunch truck was busy tending to the sick he organised lunch as best he could under the circumstances. I didn't find a problem at all.

With lunch firmly tucked away it was back on the bike for the final 30 kms to end the day. It was a beautiful afternoon with a slight tailwind, a couple of drops of rain, but mostly downhill. We say the end of day truck looking for a good place to camp, so Barry, Max and I rode on by and went to a small village 2 kms away. We didn't want to sit around the campsite from 1 pm on a beautiful afternoon.

When we entered the town we found a nice little shop and went inside and ordered some drinks. The lady even said I could take my shoes and socks off because they were wet and put my feet up on the chair. We attracted some young girls who wanted to practise some English on us and were just inquisitive our why we had visited their part of the world.

We got back to the campsite around 3 pm and by this time everyone had arrived. We were nestled on the side of the river so we could make do with a wash and try and clean some of this grime off us. The problem with camping so close to the river is the flies. There are millions of them. I caked on the repellent and put on the long pants and long shirt which did help but didn't stop them from landing on my face. Oh well, shit happens.

Dinner was nice dish like usual and what better way to enjoy it than to be under a million stars. The moon was out lighting the rocky ground we were camped, the flies had gone home and we just sat up talking. A fantastic night with fantastic people.

Tomorrow we head to our rest day in the town of, can't remember the name right now, but it will be a hard day for sure. On a side note, it's still hard climbing the hills and everyone is getting out of breath so I don't feel too bad.


Until tomorrow, safe riding.

No comments:

Post a Comment