The Garmin 1000 is the leading edge.

The Garmin 1000 is the leading edge.

Monday, October 7, 2013

Troia Pension & Camping to the Grand Anzac Hotel, Cannakale.

Last night it was obvious I was coming down with a cold.  I couldn't get warm in bed and my head was full of the cold. I still had 30kms to ride today to reach Cannakale, but first we had to go and visit the world heritage site of Troy. 

Some people might know Troy because of Brad Pitt in the movie Troy over 10 years ago.  The actual horse used in the movie sits in the middle of the town at Cannakale.

We left our accommodation and rode a kilometre down the road to the entrance of Troy.  We got the security guy to look after our bikes whilst we took a walk around the ruins.  Without going into history today, I can say that this place goes back thousands of years, and everyone has ruled it at one time or another.

At the end of our visit, Peter and Len wanted to get dressed up in the clothing people wore all those centuries ago.  Peter and Len dressed up as soldiers, and I wore a dress.

Firstly some photos of Troy.
 The above photo is of the Trojan horse which at this stage is legend and not based on history. This is not the one used in the film.
 The above photo is of the amphitheatre in Troy.  I think it's the smallest amphitheatre I've seen on tour.
 The photo above is of some of the ruins in Troy. 
 The above photo shows how good the road into Cannakale is. You might be able to make out the city in the distance.
The above photo is Peter, Len and myself dressing up for the cameras.  We ended up buying the CD with over 100 photos of us looking rather splendid in our outfits.

After our trip to Troy, it was back to the highway and start riding into a howling headwind. It took us 2 hours to ride the 30kms, but considering it up up and down afternoon, and with the wind to contend with, it wasn't that bad.  I wanted to ride all the way without stopping as I didn't want to cool down and then get back on the bike, and then get hot again.

We reached Cannakale at 2pm and found the Anzac Hotel.  When trying to check in, we found out that they had upgraded us to the Grand Anzac Hotel just around the corner.  We were taken to the hotel and found a very nice place at no extra cost. After an  excellent shower which had hot water for a change, it was time to go for a walk of the town.

It was so cold with the wind blowing off the Dardanelles. I didn't want to stay outside too long as it would only freshen up my cold.  We found a pizza restaurant,  and got out of the wind.  I did see a Macca's today just up the road from our hotel, looks like a nice coffee tomorrow before we head off for our Gallipoli tour.

Tomorrow is a big day for Peter and I on tour. We had discussed a route and things each of us wanted to do during our bike ride around eastern Europe, and both of us said, 'Gallipoli'. We have to catch the ferry at midday tomorrow and meet up with the tour company across the Dardanelles.  I'm so looking forward to this tour, and I hope the temperature rises slightly because it's down to 10 degrees in this town.

We have a tour planned for tomorrow and the next day and then we start the 3 day ride to Istanbul.

Until tomorrow, safe riding.




No comments:

Post a Comment