The Garmin 1000 is the leading edge.

The Garmin 1000 is the leading edge.

Saturday, October 18, 2014

Lead out in race goes bad. Beaten by 12 inches. Stage 60, Cafayate to Santa Maria. 78 kms, climbing 496 metres, summit 1780 metres, 75 % paved.

Today was the day I was targeting for a stage win. We left the campsite at 8 am for the short 48 kms dash to the lunch stop.

As soon we left the campsite it was on for young and old. I did a couple of turns on the front of the bunch over the rolling hills running beside beautiful green vineyards. Being a non drinker and the only one in the tour, I was hoping the guys that drank last night might be a little slower today.

After about 5 kms Joost took off like a mad man and the chase was on. Having raced professionally I knew to wait and wait and see who would take up the chase. First it was Rien, followed by Alfred, Rob the boss, and then came Barry and myself. Now the bunch was down to 7. With a couple of more attacks down the road, the group was being decimated each km.

After 10 kms there was now 4 riders to settle into a good pace. Myself, Rien, Joost and Robert the boss. I continued to work as hard as I could for the next 20 kms and then sat on and didn't do a tap. I wanted to make sure I was strong enough to out sprint them in the finish.  I had arranged for Joost and Rien to lead me out which would just about seal the deal.

With the finish flag up in the distance about 1 km away, Joost started the lead out, followed by Rien and myself. With 300 to go Rien hit the front and now we were on 55 kph. This was so hard on my mountain bike and my legs were screaming. With 100 metres to go I came off Rien's wheel and gave it everything. With 20 metres to go Rob the boss started to come up beside me, so like any sprinter would do I took him across the road to make it difficult for him to come around me.

With 5 metres to go Rob came around me and beat me across the line by 12 inches. I was completely stuffed and couldn't hardly breath. My lungs and legs were screaming and it was made worse by losing so close to the line. The boys did a great job for me at the finish, but I didn't have it. I would love a massage on the legs after that effort.

We pulled into the lunch stop and talked about the race, over and over again. I was still happy to finish 2nd but really that means nothing when I wanted to win. I'll be back and ready for Rob next time. You can put your house on it.

After lunch James and I rode into the town of Santa Maria. This is also a part of the wine growing region of Argentina along Route 40. It's a beautiful little town with a tree lined plaza and nice little cafes to sit down and write about was couldn't have been.
The photo above is what the cyclists do on most days, eat ice cream.

We found the campsite, put up our tents, showered and Barry and I headed for town for lunch and play on the internet. We were told there is an open air concert across the road from our campsite, so many have decided to move into town and get a room. I'm staying in 'Tent Hilton'. I'll leave the room for Mendoza in 10 days time.

Tomorrow we have a long ride with a lot of dirt, more headwind, but no racing.

Until tomorrow, safe riding.

No comments:

Post a Comment